It seems that everyone is searching for ways to find a new normal in planning for family fun events this summer. I know that my top priority is staying safe while trying to come up with creative ways to escape our house as a family. If you are anything like my family we have reached the max with Netflix and microwave popcorn. We absolutely love going to the movies and have missed that more than any other activity during the pandemic.
As a little girl, I always loved hearing my parents share their memories about going to drive-in movies when they were young. I am excited to see the pop-up drive in movies hit Huntsville but found myself still worried about the crowds and social distancing. I began to research drive-in movie theaters that might still be open that are close to Huntsville. I found the Sand Mountain Twin Drive in Theatre in Boaz. We were thrilled to learn that they were indeed open and playing movies every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night! I invited my friend who excitedly agreed and we loaded up the van last Sunday night and set off for a unique adventure. Our experience was simply wonderful and we can’t wait to go back!
The owners Carlo and Tania Prima are originally from Queens, New York, but have lived in Albertville, Alabama for the past 23 years. They had a dream of providing entertainment for their family and community and love creating long lasting relationships with their customers and supporters. They have been truly blessed to operate the Sand Mountain Twin Drive-in as a means of income, and a great place for their four children to make meaningful memories. They hope to be able to continue their dream for many years to come!
I am not sure when I will feel comfortable heading back to the movie theaters but until then you might find me enjoying one under the stars at a Drive-in. Look for me! I’ll be the white mini-van parked on the front row with a happy family and a giant bucket of popcorn!
Things to consider
- We packed lawn chairs and blankets as they will now allow you to sit outside your cars and enjoy the movie under the stars.
- We packed a portable FM radio so that we could tune in and listen to the movie outside of our car.
- We got there early because I wanted to get set up before the sun went down.
- I packed board games to pass the time while we waited for the movie to begin and it was a hit!
- I wish I would have remembered to pack bug spray. I had forgotten what it felt like to play outside in the summer.
- Please consider giving the drive-in a try. You won’t regret it-and make sure to try the popcorn it was AMAZING!
Read this next…
Kelley Wolfe is the K-4 Hands-on science lab teacher at Randolph School. She has two amazing teenagers and is always looking for adventure!