- How many can you do this summer with your kids?
With a FULL summer ahead of you, now is the perfect time to create a giant list of fun activities you want to do with your family. Kids (and adults) will enjoy making the plans almost as much as following through on them.
Here at Rocket City Mom, we asked our readers and writers for their “Huntsville Summer Must-Dos” and came up with 60 things to do this summer to help inspire you. It’s a great mix of free/cheap fun and some that have a ticket or admission price. Most importantly, however you spend your summer, be sure to have lots of fun!
How Many Can You Check Off Before Summer Is Over?
1. Catch a free summer concert in the park!
2. Befriend a turtle at the Cook Museum.
3. Ride the cars at the Athens Kiddie Carnival.
4. Release the butterflies and get In Full Swing at HBG.
5. Find all the clues on the Kid’s Big Spring Scavenger Hunt.
6. Create an artistic masterpiece with your kids & help from HMA.
7. Pan for Treasure On Gold Mountain at Burritt.
8. Experience a show at Huntsville’s awesome new Orion Amphitheater.
9. Hike to a local waterfall.
10. Hang with some horses at Pine Ridge Day Camp.
11. Take the kids to a magical Firefly Night Hike.
12. Float the Flint with your family.
13. Listen to a story by a talking tree & have some TinkerLab fun at Earlyworks.
14. Experience a summer concert high above the Rocket City skyline.
15. Cool off at your favorite local splashpad.
16. Pick some summer blueberries at the farm.
17. Have a picnic in the park – take your pick which one!
18. Fight the summer slide with a good library book and fun programs.
19. Learn to play disc golf.
20. Experience a drive-in movie with your friends.
21. Impress your Auntie at the family reunion with these summer potluck recipes.
22. Take a little road trip and be back by nightfall.
23. Let your little light shine at Vacation Bible School.
24. Ride the rails on a real restored train with your kids.
25. Make something awesome at Color Me Mine.
26. Search for colorful art murals downtown.
27. Visit a new water park this year.
28. Soar high above the trees at Vision Zipline.
29. Eat crackerjacks at a Trash Panda game.
30. Make a playdate at Hays Nature Preserve.
31. Take a hike on a kid-friendly trail.
32. Suck some mudbugs and enjoy the kid’s activities at the Crawfish Festival.
33. Sample something fresh at a local Farmers Market.
34. Go on your first camp out with your family at HBG.
35. Swim like a fish with the help of a few lessons.
36. Work on your bowling game… for free!
37. Find a good fishing hole.
38. You don’t have to go far to spend a day at GoFar USA Park.
39. Broaden your horizons at a summer camp.
40. Go star-gazing at the VBAS planetarium.
41. Create something new at a local art camp.
42. Attend the Helen Keller Festival in Tuscumbia.
43. Jump through the pop jets at the Children’s Fountain downtown.
44. Sample all the best ice cream spots in Huntsville.
45. Make a s’more at Camp Cha-La-Kee.
46. Practice your ninja skills at The Matrix.
47. Spend a rainy day doing some Indoor Play.
48. Volunteer for a great cause.
49. Go duck hunting in downtown Huntsville.
50. Go train hunting in downtown Madison.
51. Take a kayak out at NACK.
52. Go camping on Monte Sano.
53. Walk the Square at Friday Night Art Walks.
54. Watch some extremely fast boats at Guntersville’s HydroFest.
55. Watch a movie outdoors under the stars.
56. Beat the heat and get creative at Gadsden’s Imagination Place.
57. Get Minecraft Mania at Earlyworks Museum.
58. Plan a party for your summer birthday… or just because.
59. Spit some seeds at the Watermelon Festival.
60. Have all this fun at your fingertips with the free Explore Huntsville App!
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.