- Special summer train rides in June & July 2022
- Three different excursions to choose from!
All aboard! Summer has arrived in Huntsville and there’s so much going on for kids to do! Definitely be sure to add the North Alabama Railroad Museum to your Summer Bucket List if you have a young train enthusiast. They offer three different train rides through the countryside, and if you act fast you can snag seats on all three this summer. The best part is you don’t have to worry about the weather – a little bit of rain won’t stop the train!
We had so much fun on the train! My children, husband and myself had never before been on a train and to finally go was so much fun. Thank you to the volunteers for loving what you do! It really shows! – Katlynn S.
Special Summer Train Rides at the North Alabama Railroad Museum
Father’s Day Special
Dads and trains are a great match, so why not treat your dad to an outing this year at the North Alabama Railroad Museum! Our Father’s Day Special is a relaxing ride for families of all ages to spend time together. It’s a great ride for multi-generational fun! An hour and twenty-minute excursion; The 1949 Southern Sleeper Coach will be on board for reservations as well.
Date/Time(s): Saturday, June 18 at 10:00 AM & 1:00 PM
Cost: $10-25 for all passengers | Buy Tickets
Blast From the Past: From Railroads to Rockets Train Ride
“That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” Neil Armstrong, July 20, 1969
It was over 50 years ago that man stepped on the moon and over 100 years before that the first transcontinental railroad was completed. America has come a long way in our short little history. Join NARM on the train as they celebrate railroads, rockets, and good-old fashioned Alabama summers. Wear your space gear, engineer overalls, or patriotic attire if you want! This is an hour and twenty-minute excursion.
Date/Time: July 16 at 10:00 AM
Cost: $10-15 for all passengers | Buy Tickets
Magic On the Mercury & Chase
Abracadabra and Alakazam! Hocus Pocus & Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo! Are you ready for some Magic on the Mercury & Chase? Join the North Alabama Railroad Museum as they have some fun with magic and mystery and help the kids of the Tennessee Valley to get ready to go back to school! Platform 6 9⁄4 will be ready for boarding, so be sure you’ve got your tickets! Fun and new items in the gift shop will add to the enchanting atmosphere. They’ve also got some special guests lined up and you won’t want to miss the fun. Magic on the Mercury & Chase is sure to be a hit! This is a full-length, ten-mile train ride that takes over an hour. VIP Sleeper Coach, private suites, and roomettes available
Date/Time: Saturday, July 30 and August 6 at 10:00 AM
Cost: $10-15 | Buy Tickets
Frequently Asked Questions About North Alabama Railroad Museum
– Passengers should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure times.
– To order tickets by phone, please call the Chase depot 256-851-6276 Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 8PM, Saturday 9AM to 5PM, and Sunday 1PM to 6 PM to speak to an operator.
– Any seats remaining or any unclaimed seats will be sold at 5 minutes before scheduled departure on a first come / first served basis at the ticket counter.
– For all regular train rides, babes in arms (not requiring a seat) ride for free. For special train rides (Peter Cottontail, Punkin’ Pickin’ Extravaganza, North Star Limited and the Santa Train), every rider, regardless of age, must have a ticket. These special train rides are specifically intended for families with children. All children must be accompanied by an adult on all train rides.
– No food or drink is permitted on the train. Remember, you’re riding in classic antiques.
– If you bring a baby stroller you will be asked to store it nearby before boarding the train for the ride.
– Wheelchair spaces are available in car 1000, so please be aware of this when you purchase your tickets as this car is not always on the train (for example the Santa Train rides). When you buy your tickets you will be asked to specify if it is for a wheelchair space (only 2 wheelchair spaces are available per train ride).
– Train operations require the use of loud whistles that may startle very young children and there are safety considerations around trains and heavy equipment, therefore we ask that you keep young children close by your side and under supervision.
– The museum’s volunteer staff is present each Wednesday and Saturday until 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. to assist visitors. The museum is also open by special appointment. Visitors may take a free self-guided tour and there are tour sheets and museum brochures in the waybill box located on the north side of the depot.
To get the full 411 about all that is happening in and around the Tennessee Valley this summer including information on summer Break Camps, Festivals, Live Shows & Music and more, then mosey on over to the full 2022 Summer Activity Guide. Then be sure to share the scoop with your friends so you’ll see familiar faces when you are out and about in Huntsville and North Alabama this summer.
You Might Also Like…
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.