Huntsville Gift Guide 2019
Here at Rocket City Mom, we are ALL ABOUT LOCAL. We eat, sleep, and breathe local. We cover local events, share information about local resources, and help our readers find local people and businesses to connect with. So, of course, we think everyone should shop local this holiday season.
By now you know that supporting small, local businesses helps the local economy but we’ve got another great reason to shop local – cool gifts. When you buy your holiday gift from a small local business you know it’s going to be unique. Why give the same old tired DVD or toy that anyone could buy from any big retail chain? This year, buy something AWESOME using our annual Huntsville Gift Guide!
We’d also like to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to our Gift Guide Sponsor, Van Valkenburgh & Wilkenson Realtors.
Here are our favorite gifts that are made right here in the Rocket City or are in some way Huntsville-centric. #ShopLocalYall
Hometown Huntsville Gift Guide for 2019
- Necklace: Katie Calvert is a local artist specializing in jewelry pieces that utilize the beautiful wings of butterflies that have passed. She donates a portion of the proceeds from her sales to causes like the eradication of human trafficking. Check out her Art 4 Justice shop for more pieces.
- Art: Give mom a night out at Spirited Art! Buy a gift card and let her pick the class she wants.
- Nature: A membership to the Huntsville Botanical Gardens is a win for every mom. She can take the toddlers to play or she can escape for a quiet walk and some fresh air. Bonus – a membership will get her discounts in the Shoppe and on special classes and events throughout the year.
- Time Together: Take mom to High Tea Time at The Poppy, Huntsville’s new authentic British pub. It will create a memory for her she won’t forget!
- Belt: Sneak a secret message onto the back of one of these custom designed belts by Holtz Leather Co. Nothing says love like leather!
- Coffee: Because coffee. Bonus – if you live with dad you get to drink some too. This Bushytail Coffee is sold locally at the Tennessee Valley Pecan Company.
- Nosh: Jala Jala is one of my absolute favorite local food companies. Buy some for dad, buy some for your holiday get-togethers, buy some for me. It’s all good.
- Whisk: If Dad loves to be in the kitchen, surprise him with this one-of-a-kind Eggbeater Jesus Egg Beater.
For Little Kids
- Hair: Get your color on at Spoiled Rockin Kids! Make it a package with a cut and a mani-pedi. Need a bigger gift? Throw a spa party with friends.
- Onesie: If you know an engineer with or expecting a baby, this is a must get gift from Fow Wow. Actually, just buy this for any baby you know, because if they are local, there is an engineer in their life who loves them, because Huntsville, duh.
- Play: Every little one needs an Earlyworks membership. Play in Biscuit’s Backyard, enjoy storytime with the talking tree, and let your imagination soar throughout the museum. Bonus – memberships to Alabama’s Constitution Hall Park and the Historic Huntsville Depot Museum are included.
For Big Kids
- Sweets: A gift card to a sweet shoppe makes a perfect stocking stuffer. Mason Dixon and Rita’s are two of our local faves!
- Sports: Your outdoor activity enthusiast will LOVE a week (or more) and Pine Ridge Day Camp and Equestrian Center. Horseback riding, hiking, swimming, archery, rock climbing, and more!
- Space Camp: Because Huntsville, and who doesn’t want to spend a week living and learning like an astronaut! The Space and Rocket Center is serving up once in a lifetime experiences.
- Yummies: A delish treat from from The Moon Bake Shop downtown is always a welcome hostess gift.
- Towel and Cornbread Magnet: I always want everything I see at Della’s Kitchen Shop. This cornbread magnet and precious kitchen towel will make every baker swoon. Buy two and be set with a hostess gift!
- Pillow: Mint Julep Market always has a lovely selection of gifts, many made locally, and they have a lot of Huntsville inspired pieces right now. Grandma needs another pillow, y’all.
- Hat: Trash Pandas are cool, but the Stars are where it started (don’t @ me with an Ok Boomer). Fow Wow makes the list again because you can never have too many ball caps.
- Golf: Listen, we know Grandpa loves golf. Skip the balls and tees this year and buy him some time to practice his swing at Top Golf!
- Pecans: Apparently I am craving pecans. Grandpa probably is too (unless he has a nut allergy). We are all about some Decatur shopping.
For The Busy Family
- Bowling: Your neighbors are tired and want something new to do. Give them an excuse to take the family out for a day or night of fun here.
- Experience: Send the kids to camp and give Mom and Dad a break. The kids won’t complain, the fun, educational offerings for Summer are a SLAM DUNK with kids. OR spring for event tickets – Randolph has a wide variety of artistic and informational events throughout the year, and most are open to all families whether you attend or not. Another idea WE LOVE is the gift of a parent’s night out. The Matrix Gym offers them monthly. You can buy a pass. Really. I *might* be hinting hard here.
- Dished: Your sister and brother-in-law are TOTALLY over cooking dinner. Get them a Dished gift card. They will probably be so happy they offer to babysit your kids.
The Person Who Has It All
- Trains: Gift tickets for a seasonal train ride. This local museum offers rides and historical exploration that will thrill even the pickiest of giftees.
- Donate: Make a donation in your friend’s name to a local shelter! Thinking of adding a family pet this Christmas? Be sure to consider the responsibility, then visit a shelter and start the snuggles. Adopt, don’t shop!
- On top of Huntsville: An annual membership to Burritt on the Mountain is just the thing for most discerning giftee. They can enjoy events, explore the grounds and museum, and get a glimpse of our beautiful city from Monte Sano Mountain.
For Teachers & Educators
- Take a Hike: Give your favorite teacher the gift of relaxation and philanthropy. An annual membership to the Land Trust is the gift that keeps on giving.
- Best Day Ever: Spend a year having fun, learning, and exploring nature. We highly recommend this membership and know the teachers in your lives will love it too. With classes, exhibits, family fun and more, this museum is a win in the gift category!
- Stock up: Teachers ALWAYS need more supplies, and you can help stock their shelves by gifting them a gift card to Schoolcraft.
For Your Favorite Nerd
- Makers Alert: Did you know you can buy time in the maker space, memberships, and other fun for makers of all ages? Robotics, gaming, woodworking, metalworking, and all things that need to be out of your garage happen here.
- That’s so 80s: Stickers never get old and, while Lisa Frank and Hello Kitty are awesome, these locally themed stickies can dress up your laptop, car, or any other surface that wants people to know how happening Huntsville is.
- Gamers unite: Whether they love VR, classic consoles, or retro arcade games, this local favorite has it and more. We hear they throw an awesome party too. Know that person who is impossible to shop for? This is the answer. I mean, who doesn’t love Pac Man?
- Old School: For the board game nerds, you can’t beat local fun maker Timbrook Toys and their awesome Hedge Lord game. It’s art! It’s a game! It’s a handmade piece of Huntsville awesomeness that will have your nerdy kids bellowing, “I AM THE HEDGE LORD!”
Your New Neighbor
- Ding Dong: How about a nice housewarming gift from Hammer and Stain. Choose this one and they can pick their own colors!
- Woof: This ball is supposed to be indestructible. Why are you buying your neighbor’s dog a gift? Because dogs.
- Friendship: Mister Rogers wants to help you show gratitude for your favorite neighbor – there’s lots of wonderful cardigan-themed gifts in the HMA gift shop.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.