Hampton Cove, Owens Crossroads, Big Cove, Mountain Cove or just “over the mountain” – whatever you choose to call it, the Hampton Cove area is a growing community full of places (many locally owned/sponsored) for families and friends to eat and play!
I know the term “growing community” may bring to mind rows of manicured lawns, fledgling trees and a suburban lifestyle but let me assure you there are many ways to enjoy the great outdoors in the Hampton Cove area.
- Hays Nature Preserve – Read the RCM Review.
- Cove Universal Playground – This is an AWESOME playground where everyone can play! Plus it’s only going to get better as more is added to it. Read the RCM Review.
Greenspaces & Recreation
- Big Cove Creek Greenway – This 2.74 mile greenway is a great way to get outside and enjoy some fresh air.
- Cove Park – Team sports your thing? Cove Park is home to the Huntsville Eastern League which offers baseball and softball, soccer, football, cheerleading and basketball.
- Goldsmith-Schiffman Wildlife Sanctuary – This is a great place for those looking for more natural adventures. Guests can enjoy hiking, biking (on the greenways only), a viewing area, and more. With everything from farmlands and fields to swamps and sloughs, there’s plenty to check out.
- Hampton Cove Equestrian Center – Have a horse lover in the family? Be sure to check out the classes, camps, and programs at Hampton Cove Equestrian Center.
- North Alabama Canoe & Kayak – Enjoy a few hours on the Flint River with NACK! Read the RCM Review.
- Robert Trent Jones Trail at Hampton Cove – For those of you whose idea of time well spent outdoors is a little more competitive the northern most section of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Hampton Cove is not to be missed. This public course has families in mind with junior rates available for golfers seventeen and under at a fraction of the regular cost.
Indoor Play in Hampton Cove
Of course it is not possible to spend everyday outdoors. There are some great options for indoor play as well!
- Rocket City Arcade – Take a trip back to the 80’s and 90’s at the Rocket City Arcade. Luckily you can enjoy the whole day for a set price – no quarters necessary.
- Up A Creek – If you want to bring the adventures indoors, Up a Creek is your place. Currently it’s open for birthday parties, afterschool, and camps. Read the RCM review.
- Buenavista Mexican Cantina – If your tastes are running a more south of the border Buena Vista Mexican Cantina is your best bet when the kids are in tow. They have a great patio area with glass garage style doors that pull down when needed. So it feels like you’re outside even in your not. Plus it’s a really nice space for trophy parties and the like.
- GrandMother’s House – This is a local legend! If you’re in the mood for traditional southern food, this is the place for you. They have converted the rooms of a charming country cottage into dining spaces with tons of windows to enjoy the pastoral views. The free roaming chickens that live on the premises take cage free to another level.
- Tortora’s – Although the kids can tag along as well, this is a great destination for date night! Enjoy casual Italian family dining with delicious pizza and pasta.
To stay up to date on current events in the Cove, follow Cove Monkey on Facebook. From traffic to sales in local shops and proposed (nonresidential) construction plans, this site can keep you in the loop.
Thinking of moving to North Alabama? Check out our North AL/Huntsville Neighborhood Guide with reviews like this of several area neighborhoods .
As a hyper-local website focused on all aspects of parenting in and around Morgan County, and the Tennessee Valley, River City Mom occasionally asks local parents to submit their stories for publication. This is part of our continual effort to represent varied viewpoints and experiences on our site. However, these articles should not be seen as necessarily expressing the views of Rocket City Mom Media Group, LLC.