If your family has younger kids like mine, we are continuing to practice safe social distancing this Spring. But how can we do that and still take a few fun day trips this year? Maybe your family isn’t ready to stay overnight anywhere just yet, so a road trip where you can set out in the morning and be back home by bedtime is ideal.
We found several of our favorite destinations are back open to visit, so the next time your family has a free 24 hours and a full tank of gas, grab your masks and set out for a bit of adventure!
Covid-19 Notice – March 1, 2022
At the time of publication, all the locations here were open & accepting visitors in some capacity. There may also be some new restrictions placed on the destinations below due to health regulations. Please check with the individual facility for the most current information and to make sure your chosen destination is up to your family’s specific social distancing rules.
Day Trips & Road Trips From Huntsville Kids Will Love
1. Dinosaur World in Kentucky – 3 hours from Huntsville
2. Visit Ivy Green & the Coon Dog Graveyard in Tuscumbia, AL – 1.5 hours from Huntsville
3. Cheekwood Estate & Gardens in Nashville, TN – 2 hours from Huntsville
4. Raptor Aerial Adventure Park in Hillsboro, AL – 1 hour from Huntsville
5. Tigers for Tomorrow Habitat in Attalla, AL – 1.5 hours from Huntsville
6. Our favorite North AL waterfalls – 1-2 hours from Huntsville
7. Noccalula Falls in Gadsden – 1.5 hours from Huntsville
8. Cathedral Caverns State Park in Grant – 30-45 minutes from Huntsville
9. Birmingham, AL for Kids – 1.5 – 2 hours from Huntsville
10. Chattanooga, TN for Kids – 2 hours from Huntsville
11. Imagination Place in Gadsden – 1.5 hours from Huntsville
13. Fall Into Gatlinburg, TN – (Yes, we’ve done this as a day trip!) – 4 hours from Huntsville
14. Rattlesnake Saloon, Ivy Green, & Spring Park in Muscle Shoals, AL – 1.5 hours from Huntsville
Keep in mind if you’re traveling with toddlers or younger children, we have an excellent resource for you in our Huntsville area travel map. It lists all the places for emergency pit stops if you need them!
You Might Also Like
- More Things to Do with Kids
- Spring Fun in Huntsville & North Alabama
- Outdoor Play Guide to Huntsville
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.