Neighborhood Guide to Blossomwood & Downtown Huntsville
Huntsville is a wonderful place to raise a family! Although I still call it a “town”, it really is a metropolitan area that offers so much for families to do. Let’s dive into the Downtown Huntsville/5 Points area where there is so much to do! Whether you are completely new to Huntsville or just the neighborhood, you’ll find your family guide to downtown and the 5 Points and Blossomwood area below.
Parks & Playgrounds
Despite being the largest city in Alabama, Huntsville still has some beautiful green spaces to enjoy! Check out these in the Blossomwood/Downtown area.
- Big Spring Park – This is the shinning star of parks in Huntsville! It’s been a Huntsville favorite for many generations, with kids and parents sharing the same memories of feeding the ducks. You can also complete our FREE Big Spring Park Scavenger Hunt while here.
- California Park – This quiet park is located in front of Huntsville Junior High on California Street.
- Hastings Park – This quaint park is located in the middle of a quiet neighborhood, head here for a day of play without the crowds.
- Hermitage Park – Situated on a little over 4 acres, this park features tennis courts and a playground.
- Maple Hill Park’s “Dead Children’s Playground” – Tucked behind the historic Maple Hill Cemetery and at the bottom of a rocky hillside, you’ll find this little playground. This one is rich in Huntsville history and lore.
- Mayfair Park– Located off of Thornton Avenue. Mayfair is the local ballpark for the children of Downtown and 5 points. All of your ball players will spend time in this park at some point. There are playgrounds available to the public as well.
- Landtrust Hiking Trails – Located at the end of Owens Drive and at the end of Cleermont Avenue
- Three Caves – Entrance located on the corner of Kennamer and Hermitage -check schedule for availability
Pools & Waterplay
One of our free summertime highlights is the Jane K. Lowe Children’s Fountain behind EarlyWorks Museum. This fountain is open to the public and a great place to cool off on those hot summer days.
One final outdoor activity that I want to expand upon is our neighborhood pools. This is a very unique thing about the Huntsville community. There are neighborhood pools all throughout Huntsville that serve as a hub of summertime activities. Neighborhood families enjoy many summer days and nights at their neighborhood pools. All of the pools offer summer swim leagues as well. This is a wonderful community activity that children of all ages and abilities can enjoy. Each of the pools is available by membership only, so check out their websites for membership information.
The two neighborhood pools in the Downtown/5 Points area are:
Mountain Springs Swim Club
Indoor Activities in Downtown Huntsville
The downtown Huntsville area offers young families a multitude of indoor activities to enjoy on those days that it’s just not possible to get outside.
- Downtown Huntsville Library Branch – Your visit to the downtown area isn’t complete without stopping in the Downtown Huntsville library branch! Beyond the books, there’s play areas, storytimes, and more to enjoy for the kids!
- EarlyWorks Family of Museums – The children’s museum is a great place for littles and kids to learn and explore! With play areas, exhibits, and STEAM activities, your kiddos are sure to want to keep coming back. They also host an incredible lineup of special events throughout the year.
- Huntsville Escape Rooms – This is a big highlight for older children; however, younger children enjoy it as well.
- Huntsville Museum of Art – Want to add a little culture to your day? A visit to the Huntsville Museum of Art is not complete without visiting the Stender Interactive Gallery or Walk Through Time where kids can learn about art history and basic art concepts in an interactive way. Youth Art Month also offers the perfect opportunity to celebrate young artists. Find upcoming exhibits and upcoming classes and camps here.
- Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment – If you’re looking for some artsy fun Wednesday – Sunday, Lowe Mill is your place! Featuring local artist studios, there’s always something new and unique to find in Lowe Mill.
- Von Braun Civic Center (VBC) – There is endless indoor entertainment offered at the Von Braun Center. The VBC hosts everything from hockey to concerts to Disney on Ice. There is an activity for the family every single week at the VBC. Lastly, the Mark C. Smith Concert Hall is host to many musical performances and plays throughout the year. Many are appropriate for the whole family while some are a perfect setting for a date night for the weary parents needing a night out.
Favorite Downtown Eateries
There are many delicious restaurants that are popping up every day downtown. There are locally owned and operated as well as great franchises. Here’s a list of my family’s favorites:
Family Friendly Restaurants
- Bandito Burrito | Mexican Street Food
- Blue Plate Café – Governors Drive | Meat & Three with great breakfast!
- Campus 805 – Corner Governors Drive & Clinton Avenue | Several restaurants & craft beer brewers
- MELT – Downtown | Gourmet sandwiches
- Taco Mama – Twickenham Square | Mexican
- Ted’s BBQ – 5 Points
- Tender’s – Five Points | Chicken Fingers & Wings
- Pane e Vino – Big Spring Park | Italian
- Poboy Factory – Andrew Jackson | Cajun *Go for lunch, if you plan to take the family
- Sam & Greg’s – Downtown on the North Side of the square | Pizza & Gelato
Date Night Restaurants
- The Bottle – Washington Street | Upscale Dining
- Commerce Kitchen – South Side of the Square | Upscale Dining
- Cotton Row Restaurant – South Side of the Square | Upscale Dining
- 1892 East Restaurant & Tavern – 5 Points | Locally Sourced Dining
- Pane e Vino – Big Spring Park | Italian *Family friendly, but also great for date night
- The Poppy & Parliament – Downtown on the Square | Upscale English Pub
- Below the Radar – Holmes Avenue | Upscale Bar Food & Craft Beer
- Humphrey’s Bar & Grill – Washington Street | Sports Bar & Live Music
Schools in the Blossomwood Neighborhood
Huntsville Middle School
Huntsville High School
First Baptist CDC
First Christian Church Daycare & Preschool
This is a small sampling of all of the fun that downtown offers. There are so many things that I can’t cover in a short article. My final recommendation is to just get out there and try out what downtown has to offer. You will not be disappointed!
Explore Other Local Neighborhoods
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.