Huntsville Weekend Roundup June 18-20
We often get asked why we called ourselves Rocket City Mom when we started over ten years ago, mostly by the many dads who tell us how much they rely on this website to make plans with their kids. The truth is when it started this site was about one mom’s journey in her new Huntsville home and we clearly had no idea it would become what it is today. 🙂 In hindsight, we would’ve been a LOT more inclusive for dads in the name… and grandparents and chosen families too if we had known. But don’t let our lack of foresight keep you from enjoying Huntsville’s #1 resource families, and definitely don’t let it keep you from learning about all the great things you can do to celebrate dads this Father’s Day weekend!
Check out some of our top picks below or view our full event calendar for even more options to fit your family.
Still Need a Gift for Dad?
It’s not too late to snag something locally-made Dad will love! Check out our ideas that are RCM-approved and – even better – many items are completely attainable before this Sunday if you’re in a pinch!
Huntsville Weekend Fun
Click here to see the weather this weekend
Editor’s note: While we strive to keep our calendar of events as correct and updated as possible, cancellations are always possible. We encourage readers to check directly with the hosting organization before driving to the event.
Every week we curate what we think are your best bets for finding a little family fun (and joy) this Huntsville weekend below, but be sure to check out our full calendar if you don’t see anything you like here.
Free & Cheap Activities
- FREE – Start the weekend early at Madison Library‘s outdoor movie, Cinderella. Details
- FREE – Sample Huntsville food trucks at the rally in Big Spring Park on Friday. Details
- FREE – Support local farmers and shop the freshest produce at Madison City Farmers Market. Details
- FREE – Or check out one of these other local weekend Farmers Markets for produce, meats, and more. Details
- FREE – Browse local wares at the Hazel Green Craft Fair that supports the library. Details
- FREE – Cheer on the runners at Madison’s County Line State of Mind 5K this Saturday. Details
- FREE – Shop a Juneteenth Marketplace at the VBC. Details
- FREE – Then head to a community Juneteenth Jubilee at Stoner Park. Details
- FREE – There’s one more Juneteenth celebration at The Camp at MidCity. Details
- FREE – Find all 12 clues with your kids on the Big Spring Park Scavenger Hunt for kids! Details
- FREE – Head to Athens for Fridays After Five on the downtown Square. Details
- FREE – Get creative with Crafts to Go from the Huntsville MadCo. Public Library. Details
- FREE – How many of these Out of this World Murals can you find? Details
- FREE – Dads get in free on Sunday at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center Burritt On the Mountain & the Huntsville Botanical Garden! Details
- While you’re at it, why not get a jump on planning the perfect 4th of July weekend now? Details
Worth the Money this Huntsville Weekend
- Take flight at the Huntsville Botanical Garden’s newest installation, Uncaged: Birds, Nature, & You. Details
- Enjoy a Parent’s Night Out while the kids hang at The Matrix Friday Night. Details
- Grab your tickets for the metal/bluegrass City Lights & Stars concert at Burritt. Details
- Watch a live performance of The Miracle Worker at Helen Keller’s actual home. Details
- Celebrate dad at an event All About Him at Cook Museum of Natural Science. Details
- Take a ride on a historic train at the Father’s Day Special at North AL Railroad Museum. Details
- Pick up some homemade treats for Dad at this Kristen’s Kups pop-up shop. Details
- Teach your kids how to truck like it’s 1993 at these Insanity Skate Park skating lessons. Details
- Tinker with all the things in the new makerspace at Earlyworks Museum. Details
- Check out the Space & Rocket Center’s Drone exhibit & hands-on STEAM activities. Details
- Explore Burritt on the Mountain and go on a real life treasure hunt on one of their GeoQuest courses. Details
So that’s what we know about. Did we miss something cool happening in the Huntsville area? Leave in the comments or send us a note at email@example.com. If you have a free/cheap family-friendly event you want added to our calendar feel free to submit anytime but keep in mind we have other jobs too so give us a few days heads up 🙂
Did your smart, good-looking friend send this list to you? Subscribe to get it in your Inbox each week! Want to be a RCM Super Reader & win stuff? Join their ranks here.
- RCM’s Summer Fun Guide
- Father’s Day Poems for Dad, by a Dad
- 10 things to do with your kids this June
DISCLAIMER: We do our best at Rocket City Mom to provide accurate, useful information about events and activities. This information (such as times and locations) is gathered from user submissions, press releases, local newspapers, signs around town and word of mouth. While we always try to confirm details before they are posted in the Huntsville Weekend Roundup, sometimes details change or we are given inaccurate information. Whenever possible we link our write-ups to the source in which our information came from and strongly urge you to confirm details before you go, especially when it comes to outdoor events and weather.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.