- 2023 Walking Nights - November 17- 26, 29, 30 (Closed Thanksgiving Day) & December 1 – 3, 16 – 24
- Dog Walking Nights: Every Monday and Tuesday during Walking Nights (November 20 & 21 and December 18 & 19)
Like many Huntsville families, we’ve made the Galaxy of Lights a holiday tradition. Driving through a twinkling wonderland is fun for every member of our family, especially when we’ve got our favorite Christmas music playing in the background. And for every year we’ve driven through the lights, we say, “Gee, we should walk through these” and then we NEVER do. I could say it’s because it’s too cold or our daughter was too young but the honest truth would be that we were being a little lazy.
Don’t be like us. Don’t be lazy.
The Galaxy of Lights Walking Nights are a totally different experience and children LOVE it. As magical as those lights are when you are driving, think of that times 10 when you are walking through them. It’s pretty spectacular when you drive through it but imagine walking through it.
Now imagine… wait for it… SNOW! Well, as close as we usually get in Alabama (i.e. the fake variety) but our children ATE IT UP. In fact, kids love it at Walking Nights so much that the good people at the Huntsville Botanical Garden added more snow stations for kids to play in this year!
Galaxy of Lights Walking Night Parent Tips
Some other details you should know about the GoL Walking Nights…
- Towards the middle of the walking trail, there is hot chocolate and cookies! The kind ladies and gentleman who serve it even offer a kid version and an adult version.
- Right next to concessions there is a light show coordinated to music that is fun to watch that takes a few minutes – it’s also right by the restrooms. This is a great place to take a break, get a snack, and visit the potty if you need to.
- Santa will not be at Galaxy of Lights – but you can find him at these other places around town.
- You will have to walk through the gift shop to start the walking trail, and there are several opportunities to purchase light-up toys. Be prepared for that – you can always BYO glow in the dark toys for the kids if you want.
- I would recommend that if your children are smaller or tend to be whiney about a long walk, you may want to bring a stroller or wagon with you. The whole path is stroller and wagon friendly. It took us almost an hour and half to do the whole thing but when we got home our daughter was out like a light. That in itself is worth the price of admission!
PRO-TIP: Walking Night tickets are sold in advance. To ensure a positive experience for each guest, there are a limited number of tickets each night, so make sure you purchase yours early!
Galaxy of Lights Drive-Thru Nights
If you’ve never been to the Galaxy of Lights at all, you can get details about Driving Nights here. Driving Nights are December 4 – 15 & 26 – 31. Admission is $25-40 per car depending on if you are a HBG Member or not.
Galaxy of Lights Walking Nights 2022 Details
When: Walking Nights – November 17-26 (Closed Thanksgiving) & December 1-3, 16-24
2023 Dog Walking Nights: November 20 & 21, December 18 & 19
Where: Huntsville Botanical Garden (map)
How Much: Adults $13-25 members/$16-25 non-members, Children ages 3-15 $7-15 members/$9-15 nonmembers; Dogs $5
More Info: Purchase yours in advance and online!
You Might Also Like…
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.