When your kids are old and senile, and rambling about the good ‘ole days, what memories do you think they’ll be rambling about? The giant state of the art television you got one Christmas or that moment your family ended up in a huge dog-pile at Skating in the Park, with the twinkling light of the Tinsel Trail surrounding you?
We are big champions of giving Experiences Not Things as much as possible. It cuts down on the clutter and creates lasting memories for our loved ones, especially because it can also involve the gift of time.
Here are some of our favorite Huntsville Experiences you can give, and cut down on the material stuff as we start a new year.
Looking for something that gives back year-round? Consider one of these memberships or season passes.
- U.S. Space & Rocket Center Family Membership (also entitles you to other ASTC museums!)
- Huntsville Botanical Garden
- Earlyworks Family of Museums
- Burritt On the Mountain
- Cook Museum of Natural Science
- Heart of the Valley YMCA
- Huntsville STEAM Works
- Point Mallard Water Park
- Season tickets to The Ballet here or here
- Fantasy Playhouse season tickets
- Broadway Theatre League tickets
- Monthly retro arcade pass
An Afternoon of Fun
Give the gift of a great day – it’s even better if you join them!
- Movie tickets
- Roller skating passes
- Disc golf
- Skating in the Park
- Camping trip
- Ice skating passes
- Fishing trip
- Lunch and a day at the Rocket City Arcade
- Plan a road trip
- Train ride at NARM
- Horseback Trail Riding
Classes They’d Love
Paint a picture, make a bowl, learn something new!
- Awesome art classes at Huntsville Museum of Art
- Tinker around at Huntsville STEAM Works
- Pottery classes at Lowe Mill
- Music classes for all ages at one of our favorites here or here.
- Art night with a friend at Spirited Art
Camp is the Gift That Keeps Giving
Summer might seem far away, but what a wonderful surprise a camp store certificate or a camp package, complete with a s’more kit!
So the next time you think to yourself, “What could I possibly get a kid that has just about everything?”, look to experiences and some of these Huntsville Hidden Gems.
You Might Also Like…
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.