Happy weekend, Huntsville! Once again – like we’ve done over 500 times before – we’ve listed our favorite free/cheap things families can do together this weekend in one place below. Our mission here at RCM is to make parenting easier. Have we done that for you? We hope so because we’d rather you have more time to do the things you love best – like an extra bedtime story or a board game with your kids.
Huntsville Weekend Fun
Editor’s note: While we strive to keep our calendar of events as correct and updated as possible, cancellations are always possible. We encourage readers to check directly with the hosting organization before driving to the event.
Every week we curate what we think are your best bets for finding a little family fun (and joy) this Huntsville weekend below, but be sure to check out our full calendar if you don’t see anything you like here.
Free & Cheap Activities
- FREE – Join the RCM Bookclub & discuss a book by a Huntsville author. Details
- Just 50¢ per ride – The Athens Kiddie Carnival opens this weekend! Need we say more? Details
- FREE – Bring your lawn chairs for some Singing On the Square in Athens. Details
- FREE – It’s the last Saturday session of Yoga By the River at Hays Nature Preserve. Details
- FREE – Play in the Kid Zone at Madison Chamber’s Kid’s Day Expo at Insanity Skate Park. Details
- FREE – Support local farmers and shop at Madison City Farmers Market Saturday morning. Details
- FREE – Or check out one of these other local weekend Farmers Markets for produce, meats, and more. Details
- FREE – Enjoy music, food, kid’s activities and fireworks at the Rainsville Freedom Fest. Details
- FREE – Find all 12 clues with your kids on the Big Spring Park Scavenger Hunt for kids! Details
- FREE – Ditto Landing is hosting an early Independence Day celebration with fireworks! Details
- FREE – Lend a hand cleaning up Jones Farm Park in south Huntsville. Details
- Just $5 – Head over to Ivy Green for the annual Helen Keller Festival this weekend. Details
- FREE – How many of these Out of this World Murals can you find? Details
- FREE – The Camp’s bilingual Japanese Storytime is Saturday morning. Details
- FREE – Make this fun firework craft to help decorate for the 4th of July! Details
- Just $3-5 – Cuddle some kitties at the annual Cat Show at the Jaycees building. Details
Worth the Money this Huntsville Weekend
- Take flight at the Huntsville Botanical Garden’s newest installation, Uncaged: Birds, Nature, & You. Details
- Shop for curriculum, school uniforms, & more at the Educator Exchange consignment sale. Details
- Tinker with all the things in the new makerspace at Earlyworks Museum. Details
- Explore Burritt on the Mountain and go on a real life treasure hunt on one of their GeoQuest courses. Details
- Check out the Space & Rocket Center’s Drone exhibit & hands-on STEAM activities. Details
- Sip some tea at Piper & Leaf’s Daddy & Daughter Tea Party Sunday. Details
So that’s what we know about. Did we miss something cool happening in the Huntsville area? Leave in the comments or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a free/cheap family-friendly event you want added to our calendar feel free to submit anytime but keep in mind we have other jobs too so give us a few days heads up 🙂
DISCLAIMER: We do our best at Rocket City Mom to provide accurate, useful information about events and activities. This information (such as times and locations) is gathered from user submissions, press releases, local newspapers, signs around town and word of mouth. While we always try to confirm details before they are posted in the Huntsville Weekend Roundup, sometimes details change or we are given inaccurate information. Whenever possible we link our write-ups to the source in which our information came from and strongly urge you to confirm details before you go, especially when it comes to outdoor events and weather.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.