Break out all things green, because Saint Patrick’s Day is just around the corner! If you’re looking for ways to celebrate with kids in Huntsville, we’ve rounded up some videos, crafts, books, and even some local family-friendly events to enjoy. Although the annual Saint Patrick’s Day parade is cancelled this year, there’s still plenty of fun ways to celebrate.
What’s Saint Patrick’s Day?
Ever wondered the actual history and meaning behind St. Patrick’s Day? PBS Kids have put together some fun facts for the entire family to enjoy in their holiday spotlight video.
Other Things to Watch for St. Patrick’s Day
- All the Baby Shark Lovers will enjoy this St. Patrick’s Day Shark edition by Learning Station.
- Let your little leprechauns run off some energy with this St. Patrick’s Day P.E. Game by PE with Mr. G
Get creative in your celebrations! Break out the craft supplies for these fun and easy St. Patrick’s Day crafts.
- Embrace the magic with these St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Fairy Wands
- Gain a green thumb with these Lucky Flower Pots
- Make a mark with this Fingerprint Shamrock Craft
Experiment with Irish Food
Broaden those little taste bud horizons with Irish food! We had fun trying this one with some Rocket City Kids. As you can see, it was a great time and actually had some real winners.
- Make your own crispy potato chips with RecipeJoes and his crew.
- Bring home the bread with this Irish Soda Bread recipe.
- Enjoy a traditional Irish Potato Soup with this recipe.
Book Some Time for Saint Patrick’s Day Fun
- The Night Before St. Patrick’s Day by Natasha Wing
- The Luckiest St. Patrick’s Day Ever by Teddy Slater
- How to Catch a Leprechaun by Adam Wallace
Celebrate Locally in Huntsville and North Alabama
Cruise or Walk Downtown Huntsville for the Saint Patrick’s Day Porch Parade
Downtown Huntsville Inc. has put together a Saint Patrick’s Day Porch Parade to enjoy. Walk, bike, or cruise the route to enjoy decorated homes and porches. The porch parade will be on display from March 12 – 21 and the route can be found here.
Shop the Super Saturday Sidewalk Sale and Stay for the Saint Patrick’s Day Block Party
Enjoy a Saint Patrick’s Day edition of the Super Saturday Sidewalk Sale. Shop from local art vendors, musicians, retail deals and giveaways. After the sale, enjoy Saint Patrick’s Day Block Party on Holmes Avenue. Learn more on the Super Saturday Sidewalk Sale Facebook event page.
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at Straight to Ale
Straight to Ale will be hosting their free, family-friendly Saint Patrick’s Day party on March 13. Social distancing will be enforced.
3pm – Remy Neal
5pm – The Travelin’ Rose Band
7pm – Liquid Redemption
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.