Summer has flown by so fast, but you have a few more weekends to enjoy before virtual school starts – better make it count! As always we’ve got our favorite free and/or cheap things happening in the next few days below, but more can be found in our Event Calendar. You can also enjoy fun things while on the go via our FREE Explore Huntsville app.
BACK TO (VIRTUAL) SCHOOL IN HUNTSVILLE
We’re trying hard to connect families struggling with this whole virtual school thing with as much academic support as we can find:
- 2020 Back to School Guide to Huntsville & the Tennessee Valley
- Click here for a list of academic tutors offering extra virtual school support
- Click here for a list of area businesses offering expanded child care during remote learning
- Childcare Directory for Greater Huntsville
- RCM’s Guide to Local Private Schools
- Homeschool Guide to Huntsville
Huntsville Weekend Fun (at a safe distance)
- Enjoy a Best of Broadway drive-in show by IMP. Details
- Head over to Stoner Park for their annual School Supply Drive. Details
- Watch a socially-distanced Alabama Sky show at the USSRC Planetarium. Details
- Browse the World’s Longest Yard Sale in Gadsden. Details
- Come play at Northside Community Day this Sunday. Details
- Soak in some history with the family at Constitution Hall Park on Saturday morning. Details
- Families get a Kids Night Out at The Matrix Gym. Details
- Play with cool toys and then take them apart at the Earlyworks Museum. Details
- Hike the Trail with a guide at Burritt’s Super Saturday. Details
- … Then explore the Whimsical Woods outdoors at Burritt On the Mountain. Details
- Head to a double feature at the Drive-In Movies. Details
- Snag some of your favorite super heroes for a Free Comic Book. Details
- Get your jam on with the Pine Hill Haints at Lowe Mill’s Concerts In the Car series. Details
- Celebrate a new school year at the Trash Panda’s Back to School Bash. Details
- Channel your kid’s inner Picasso with these take-away art kits for kids. Details
- Get your fill of fresh fruit and veggies by shopping at various weekend Farmers Markets. Details
- Grab the SPF and go creek-stomping. Details
- Hit the Flint River and go kayaking at these kid-friendly spots. Details
- Cool off in one of the splashpads and parks but check their safety guidelines first! Details
So that’s what we know about. Did we miss something cool? Leave in the comments or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a free/cheap family-friendly event you want added to our calendar feel free to submit anytime but keep in mind we have other jobs too so give us a few days heads up 🙂
Did your smart, good-looking friend send this list to you? Subscribe to get it in your email inbox each week!
Follow us on Instagram to see some awesome #HsvSummerFun!
In Case You Missed It…
- Drive-in movies are all the rage in the Tennessee Valley
- Local businesses offering virtual learning support
- Our family had Covid & didn’t know it: the case for masks
DISCLAIMER: We do our best at Rocket City Mom to provide accurate, useful information about events and activities. This information (such as times and locations) is gathered from user submissions, press releases, local newspapers, signs around town and word of mouth. While we always try to confirm details before they are posted in the Huntsville Weekend Roundup, sometimes details change or we are given inaccurate information. Whenever possible we link our write-ups to the source in which our information came from and strongly urge you to confirm details before you go, especially when it comes to outdoor events and weather.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.