Kids all over Huntsville are back at school, but most of the homeschoolers I know won’t officially start back until September. Why? Because there’s still some time to be had at the pool, at the beach, and at favorite activities – all without the usual summer crowds.
Flexible schedules are just one perk of homeschooling. Another perk is this great list of resources EVERY local homeschooler (or aspiring homeschooler) needs to make your new school year the best it can be.
First stop: The Ultimate List of Huntsville Homeschool Resources – this “Greatest Hits” list was made possible by our friends over at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center who, coincidentally, are hosting some GREAT programs just for homeschoolers this year! Learn more and sign up here.
Homeschooling: Getting Started
Probably the most asked question I hear is How do I even start? The articles listed below will help you begin that process and addresses the legalities for the state of Alabama and best practices from experienced homeschoolers.
- Why Homeschool?
- How to Get Started Homeschooling
- Back to Homeschool: Starting Another Year
- How Do You Do It? 4 Ways Our Family Figured It Out
- An Open Letter to a Friend Concerning Homeschooling
- All About that Space: Create a Self-Directed Homeschool Environment
Overcoming Homeschooling Hurdles
While it’s gaining more traction, homeschooling is currently not a mainstream approach to education. Which means when you hit a brick wall it can be harder to find a way around it. The articles below address issues like motivation, combating stereotypes, and more.
- The ‘S’ Word
- Getting Your Kid to School When It’s at Home
- Breaking Up with Your Homeschool Curriculum
- Why We’re Not Weird
- What Counts as Educational?
Huntsville Homeschooling Families
Want to get a peek at how other local families do it? We interviewed homeschooling students and parents about the things that work for them.
- The 1st Day of Homeschool with Local Families
- Interest-Based Homeschooling
- Homeschooling with STEAM
- This is What Homeschooling Looks Like
The Resource List
Even more awesome resources for homeschoolers.
- Top 5 Places to Take Classes in Huntsville
- Educational Escapes in Huntsville
- 5 Fantastic Online Resources for Homeschool Educators
- Competitive Sports: Local Opportunities for Team Play
- 5 Tabletop Games That Add Fun to Learning
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.