[themify_quote]A spirit of adventure, seasoned with the common sense of safety. The ability to recognize inspiration as well as the gift of inspiring others to a noble cause. A strong character, based on a solid value system, where integrity and faith are the product of such character. Somehow, camping in the right place at the right time of life with the right leadership can help mold these qualities and many more.”[/themify_quote] Riverview Camp for Girls has been owned and operated by Susan and Dr. Larry Hooks since 1997. As Camp Directors since 1983, their passion for camping is evident in all aspects of Riverview. The spacious wooded riverfront property the campus is located on is absolutely a dream come true! Riverview was born – an overnight camp for girls. We asked Susan a few questions for parents interested in their daughters participating.
The 2015 Camp
Name: Riverview Camp for Girls
Location: 757 County Road 614, Mentone (map)
Website: View Riverview’s Website
Grades/Ages of Campers: Kindergarten through 10th grade, or ages 6-16
Counselor/Camper Ratio: 5:1
2015 Camp Dates: Short-term and long-term sessions available between May 31-July31. Get the 2015 camp schedule HERE.
Cost: $1675 Short Term: 5 nights/6 days | $3000 Long Term: 12 night/13 day
Religious affiliation: Non-denominational Christian Camp
Is transportation provided to camp?
Parents bring their children or we make airport pickups and we offer chartered buses from the New Orleans area.
What is your camp’s predominant mission/philosophy?
Our goal is to enhance and enrich the lives of young girls in a safe camp community of girls (and staff) from exceptional families! Character and confidence-building through adventure and inspiration is our method.
What sets your camp apart from other area programs?
- Amazing campers from exceptional families
- Riverview offers over 20 activity choices
- About 75% of our College counselor staff are former Riverview Campers — we know them personally, we know their families! They “come back to give back” and have a desire to make sure our Riverview campers receive the same care and nurture they received themselves as campers!
- Nurses and Doctor on our staff each session!
- Accredited by American Camping Association and Association for Experiential Education and members of Christian Camping Conference Association
- Amazing location on Lookout Mountain
What activity opportunities exist for your campers?
- Riding (both English and Western)
- Swimming lessons
- Fun swim classes
- River Water Blobbing
- Ropes Course
- Climbing Tower
- Outdoor Living Skills class
- Arts & Crafts
- Riverview Refinement
What advice do you have for parents looking for a camp for their child(ren)?
Give us a call and let us answer questions you might have or enjoy our extensive FAQ section of our website!
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.