It’s that time of year – Spring in Huntsville, AL always means PANOPLY!
Every year we like to tell you about the parts of Panoply weekend we think your family will like the most. You might have heard about the great headliners (The Indigo Girls! The Secret Sisters! Unknown Lyric!) but there are several acts your kids will be super excited about too.
Gazebo Family Stage Lineup
If you’re the type that prefers to choose one spot to camp out at all day with little ones, this could be your favorite stage. It’s the go-to Character Meet & Greet location at the festival. More info HERE.
Friday, April 24
- Character Meet & Greet: Fantasy Playhouse from 5:30-6:00 PM
- Character Meet & Greet: 7:00-7:30 PM
Saturday, April 25
- Will Whetzel from 1:00-1:30 PM
- Character Meet & Greet from 11:00 – 11:30 AM
- Emma Klein from 12:00-12:30 PM
- Just Gracey from 2:15-2:45 PM
- Tommy Friend from 3:45-4:15 PM
Sunday, April 26
- Dennis Parker from 1:45-2:15 PM
- Character Meet & Greet: Alabama Youth Ballet from 12:45-1:15 PM
- Carrie Ann Smallwood from 3:00-3:30 PM
- Character Meet & Greet 4:00-4:30 PM
World Stage Lineup
If your family likes their live music with a bit more international flair, this stage is where you’ll want to set up your chairs. There will be great acts here all weekend, but in our opinion, Saturday is the best day for the kiddos… because PUPPETS!
Saturday, April 25, 2015
- HMCPL Puppet Troupe from 11:00-11:30 AM
- Fitness Irish Dancers from 12:00-12:30 PM
- Beledi Club from 1:00-1:30 PM
- Huntsville Chinese Association from 1:45-2:30 PM
- Fantasy Players from 3:00-4:00 PM
- Chris Hale from 4:30-5:15 PM
- Bourbon and Shamrocks from 7:00-8:15 PM
Valley Jubilee Stage for Theatre & Dance
Got a little thespian or dancer? Be sure to stop by this stage for all the greatest local performances! From ballet to hip-hop, Shakespeare to Microwave Dave & the Nukes – this is sure to be a fun stage. Get the full stage schedule HERE.
Panoply Interactives for Kids
Panoply’s hands-on activities are STEAM-themed, and will attract science, tech, art, and math fans of ALL ages! Get a detailed list of these interactives here, but we’ve listed the ones we’re looking forward to the most below.
- Out of This World – Participants make astronaut helmets from paper bags or solar system crowns from cardboard crowns and planet cut outs.
- Face Painting – Always a favorite! It is one of Panoply’s most visited tents in the park.
- Discovery Depot and Exploration Station – Two tents feature a variety of interactive activities from around the world in 3-4 hour segments. The activities may include live art demos, children’s crafts, dance instruction, learning to play an instrument, and much more.
What to Bring to Panoply
DO: Strollers or small wagons are helpful for small children.
DO: Sunscreen is NOT optional at Panoply, folks. Grease ’em up good and wear a hat.
DO: Bring a light jacket for the breezy bits in the morning and evening.
DO: Your folding lawn chairs & blankets. The whole event has festival seating, which means there are limited chairs available and you should bring your own to be comfortable or be prepared to stand.
DO: Cash for parking.
DON’T: Please note that no pets or animals are permitted at the festival, with the exception of service animals accompanying handicapped individuals.
DON’T: Food and beverages are available throughout the festival, and coolers and outside food and beverages are not allowed. Unfortunately as we discovered last year, this includes small kids’ sippy cups & snacks.
Panoply Safety Pro-Tips
The main Guest Services are located near the Family Gazebo Stage on Williams Avenue. They include HEMSI/First Aid, the Info Booth where the Panoply Lost & Found is located, and a mobile charging station. The Lost Kids tent is also located in that area. Panoply provides free wristbands to every child through the gate and encourage parents to write their cell phone number on the inside of the wristband before securing it on their child. If the child is found by a Lost Kids volunteer, the volunteer will simply call the number on the inside of the band to locate the parent.
A festival map will be distributed at the entry gates of Big Spring Park.
– PANOPLY HOURS –
Friday, April 25 from 5:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 26 from 10:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 27 from 12:00 – 7:00 p.m.
– ADMISSION –
Kids 12 and under FREE!
All adults: $10 per day at the gate
Why wait in long ticket lines with squirmy kids? Buy your pass online for $7.50 in advance AND save some money!
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.