Here’s the thing. We don’t know your mom, wife, or grandmother. Only you can pick out the best gift for her, but we also get that sometimes people need a nudge to get the creative juices flowing. So here are a few simple ideas to get you thinking of just how you’re going to celebrate the contributions of the most important woman in your life – YO MAMA.
This weekend there are several special events set up specifically to help you spend a little one-on-one time with mom. As of the date of this post, tickets were still available for all of these events but many are popular yearly events and do tend to sell out. So if it looks appealing, don’t delay.
- Mother’s Day Garden Tea Party at Huntsville Botanical Garden (Sunday seatings at 12:30 & 1:30PM)
- Mom & Son Run train ride at North Alabama Railroad Museum (Saturday at 10AM & 1PM)
- Mommy & Me Princess Tea at Fantasy Playhouse Children’s Theater (Saturday & Sunday seatings at 1&4PM)
- Mother’s Day Breakfast at Emma’s Tea Room (Saturday only)
- Mother’s Day Family Class at Spirited Art (Sunday at 2PM, ages 5+)
Freebies for the Frau
We all know you don’t have to spend dough to make mom happy. Here are some great free things you can do with mom to celebrate the day.
- Space & Rocket Center – Moms get in free with a paid guest on Sunday.
- Sci-Quest – Moms get free admission all day Sunday.
- Huntsville Botanical Garden – Not a special event for Mother’s Day but a happy coincidence. This Friday is National Public Gardens Day and you can gain free admission to The Garden by visiting this website and then presenting the emailed certificate at the HSVBG front desk. Doesn’t an afternoon picnic at The Garden sound nice?
- Good Day 2014: Kidstock – Don’t let the name fool you, parents will have as much fun as kids at this free festival at Lowe Mill on Saturday from Noon – 4PM. If that’s not mom’s thing, maybe dad takes the kids while she rests 🙂
Best Bets for Brunch
If making breakfast for mom to enjoy in bed is a bust, we’ve got you covered. Or rather, our friend Amanda over at The Dining Dragon has you covered. She’s the real expert when it comes to local food so we’ll defer to her. She’s got a great list of local Mother’s Day Brunch options for you to check out.
From the Heart
We get that some moms (okay, many moms) love spa gift certificates, jewelry, and the like. But ALL moms, and grandmas, love gifts made by little hands. It’s not too late to oversee the creation of some truly awesome craft projects but start now because waiting until the last minute will suck all the fun out of the process. If crafting just isn’t your thing, a gratitude letter is a nice and still very personal alternative.[themify_box style=”lavender rounded” ]Did we miss something awesome? Feel free to share your ideas, favorite gifts from year’s past or links to the most Pinterest worthy ideas in our comments. [/themify_box]
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.