A Parent’s Guide to Athens, AL
Whether you’re a newcomer to the Athens, AL are or just visiting, here are some things to add to your bucket list.
There’s a lot to see and do around the downtown Square including terrific shops, boutiques, restaurants and more. It’s a step back in time. While you’re there, be sure to stop by U.G. White Hardware store, which has been there for over 90 years! Have lunch at LuVici’s and then mosey on down to the Limestone Drug store and enjoy a malt from their old fashioned soda fountain. Or just around the corner, visit Kreme Delight, an old fashioned walk-up dairy bar. There’s a children’s consignment shop just off the square called Belles and Beaus you won’t want to miss! Finally, be sure to check out all the family-friendly programs going on each week at the Athens Public Library.
- Big Spring Memorial Park (NOT to be confused with Huntsville’s!) – go feed the ducks!
- Athens Sportsplex Track is a 1.2 mile track that encircles the pool, ballfields, and Kid’s Dugout Playground
- Athens Greenway is a beautiful, mostly shaded, 2.3 mile trail that extends from the Athens Sportsplex down to Hwy 72 near Lowe’s
- Athens Rec. Center track is a 1.53 mile track that encircles the Athens High School, Swan Creek Park, and the Athens Rec. Center
- Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge is great for a weekend staycation or fun on the water
- More Athens Parks
Athens Drive-In Theater
Did you know Athens has a wonderful drive-in movie theater? It’s attached to the Athens Cinemagic Theater. Bring your lawn chairs to sit outside or just sit in your car and enjoy the show! Read our review.
Dining in Athens, AL
Village Pizza on the Square and has live music on the weekend.
The Big Easy
Date Night Dining
Las Trojas has really good live music on the weekends and drink specials
Mac’s Sportsbar and Steakhouse
Farmer’s Markets in Athens
· Limestone County Farmers Market
· Athens Saturday Market
· Isom’s Orchard
Athens, AL Events
There are lots of events, festivals, parades and other family friendly activities, but here are a few you don’t want to miss:
· Athens Kiddie Carnival offers rides, food, BINGO and more!
· Cars and Bikes on the Square in downtown Athens – this is a monthly event during the warm months of the year and includes live entertainment, prizes and more.
· Athens Grease Festival celebrates all things fried!
· Athens doubles in size when during the annual Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention
· Athens Storytelling Festival
Are you a local parent in Athens, AL? Where are your favorite places & spaces to hang out? Leave us a comment!
Heather Phillips and her husband are high school sweethearts originally from Kentucky. Heather worked in the fields of public relations and marketing for over 13 years before becoming a stay at home mom to their two boys. Heather has enjoyed volunteer work her whole life and is active in the animal rescue community here in Madison County.
The Clubhouse is a GREAT place for young children… My 2 year old has a ball Everytime we go..
Village Pizza is quite good – one of the best pizzerias in the Tennessee Valley, actually.
Dub’s Burgers are one of the best deals going. If you eat one for lunch, you don’t have to eat again until lunch the next day. 🙂
I am trying to get a grip on the Huntsville and Madison School Systems. Will anyone out there separate out the schools for me? For example, Grissom High School and its associated middle schools or elementary schools. There are so many and I don’t know which schools go together. I work in Huntsville and am considering moving closer but would be interested in learning more about the schools before I look for a home because I have a small daughter. It would also be nice if I had some opinions on the best schools if anyone cares to share. Thanks!