Spring Break 2015 for $6 or Less
Whether your staycation strategy is soaking up the sun or hanging indoors sans sunscreen, or maybe a bit of both, we’ve got great options that are all $6 or less! Be sure to mention Rocket City Mom when you go because many of these options are offering a special discount just for our readers!
Hays Nature Preserve
On Tuesday, March 24th – 10-11AM and 2-3PM Operation Green Team is hosting another of their Play Days at Hays and this time they’re making Painted Stone Garden Markers. It’s totally FREE and we know it will be fun but you must call 256.532.5326 to reserve your spot.
NOTE: In the event of inclement weather, sessions will be held in the Education Center. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Here’s a great option for a little fun in the sun. Head over to Bridgestreet Town Center and Ride the train ($3) & Carousel – ($2) and when you finish head over to the kids section of Barnes and Noble which boasts a train table AND a LEGO table. Just don’t blame us if you end up doing a bit of shopping and spend more than $6!
Parks & Recreation
Area parks are a great option for fun because they wear your little ones out, they are easy play dates when other children are present (and they will be during spring break), and they are completely FREE! Before you head out the door be sure to check out our Parks Guide filled with our favorite area parks. In the guide we dish on amenities including which parks have bathrooms, shade trees, benches, and the best play equipment for different ages.
Roll it Out
Skate Odyssey and Roller Time are two local indoor roller rinks that offer lots of options for families to have fun all year round and this spring break they are offering plenty of specials to entice you to come try them out.
- Each day this week Skate Odyssey has a School’s Out Skate from 12-5PM. Entrance is only $5 plus $2 skate rental but if you mention RCM you get $1 off admission!
- From 12-4PM Monday-Friday of this week Roller Time is offering an afternoon skate from 12PM-4PM with $5 admission and if you visit any (or all) of these days and you mention RCM you get free skate rental!
Run ’em (or Jump ’em) Ragged
It’s called Restless Kids Syndrome and all mothers recognize the signs. First children get whiny, then items in your home begin to break for inexplicable reasons, slapping and hitting of siblings may occur. Avoid this serious dilemma with Kidventure, Matrix Gym, and/or Pump It Up!. All are great indoor play options and all are offering open play and discounts this week.
- Kidventure – Monday – Thursday of this week admission for the whole day (9AM-6PM) is only $4! Children under 2 years are always free.
- Matrix Gym – Whiz Kids open gym is another “oldie but goodie” in our RCM arsenal but worth revisiting when looking for options for your littlest ones. Read our review here. Whiz Kids is offered six days a week. Check our RCM calendar or their website for exact times. Exclusively for children ages 6 and under it’s only $3 if you’re a member and $5 if you’re not.
- Pump It Up! is another RCM favorite and they know their audience because not only are they holding “open jumps” all week long but there are lots of theme sessions including Bubbles, GLOW and even Elsa (on Wednesday from 1-3PM). Check our RCM calendar or their Facebook page for the complete schedule. Admission is only $5 when mention RCM!
Do you have a budding entomologist among your brood? Even if you don’t, taking a daytrip down to Decatur is worth considering especially since the price is so competitive. The Cook’s Natural Science Museum is open Monday-Saturday from 9AM-5PM (but they are closed from 12-1 for lunch) and it’s completely free. Check out the Kids Corner on their site before heading down there and download free bug-related coloring books and puzzles.
Behold the Bookshelves!
Whether you visit virtually or in person (our favorite) the Huntsville Madison County Public Library is guaranteed to have something that will keep your kids of all ages occupied and entertained. In addition to their normal events, many branches are holding special spring break events like afternoon movies and crafts. Check this calendar to see what’s happening and get in on all the FREE fun.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.