Updated for 2017
For the past four years, you’ve probably heard us talk A LOT about diapers on Rocket City Mom. Changing them, trying to get out of them, affording them, and most importantly, providing them for local families that are having trouble getting them for their baby.
Consider the facts: 1 in 3 families struggle to provide diapers for their babies. A variety of reasons can be the cause – sudden job changes creating cash flow problems, women fleeing domestic abuse, or divorce are just a few. Lower-income families spend, on average, $936 per child on diapers every year — double what some higher-income families pay.
To help stretch their diaper dollars, some parents have no choice but to go longer between changes, increasing the risk of diaper rash and infection. Rashy babies tend to cry and fuss a lot, raising the chances of abuse and neglect, especially in households already experiencing extreme financial stress.
It’s a problem close to our hearts, and close to our Reader’s hearts as well. Every September for the past three years you’ve come out to show your support and help local babies who need diapers. You have another chance to do that on Thursday, October 19th, and this year it’s more important than ever.
Every Single Diaper Counts
Our goal for this year is to raise 125,000 diapers and wipes for local babies and their families in Huntsville and Madison County. The donations on this day will go to the Food Bank of North Alabama and their newly established National Diaper Bank Network capabilities.
– HOW YOU CAN HELP –
Swing by and come see us, WHNT News 19, and our friends from WDRM at Wal-Mart in Madison! We’ll be there receiving all the diapers both individuals and organizations want to bring us. We love to hear stories of offices and workplaces pooling their dollars to chip in, or departments having diaper showers and bringing us the booty! (Pun intended.)
Parent Pro-Tip: Bring the kids & let them help – mine have chipped in parts of their allowance money to help buy diapers. We’ll also be giving out FREE treats from Pizzelles Confections to the first 100 people that come by and donate diapers between 9AM – 7PM.
Can’t make it out to see us this Thursday? Here’s a list of Walmart locations near you that are collecting diapers for the Great Diaper Drive:
- 1450 N. Brindlee Mountain, Arab, AL 35016
- 2800 Spring Avenue SW, Decatur, AL 35603
- 11697 US Highway 431, Guntersville, AL 35976
- 14595 Hwy 231-431 N, Hazel Green, AL 35750
- 6140A University Dr, Huntsville, AL 35806
- 3031 Memorial Pkwy South, Huntsville, AL 35801
- 2200 Sparkman Dr, Huntsville, AL 35810
- 11610 Memorial Pkwy South, Huntsville, AL 35803
- 2165 Winchester Rd, Huntsville, AL 35811
- (Neighborhood Market) 4226 Oakwood Ave NW, Huntsville, AL 35810
- (Neighborhood Market) 9020 Bailey Cove Rd SE, Huntsville, AL 35802
- (Neighborhood Market) 2305 Jordan Ln, Huntsville, AL 35805
- 8650 Madison Blvd, Madison, AL 35758
- 8580 Hwy 72 W, Madison, AL 35758
- (Neighborhood Market) 7140 Wall Triana Hwy, Madison, AL 35757
- 330 Sutton Rd, Owens Cross Roads, AL 35763
More Diaper Details & Ways to Give
- Busy Schedule? Donate Online to the Great Diaper Drive
- How to Host a Diaper Shower for Local Babies in Need
- North Alabama’s First National Diaper Bank is Happening Thanks to You