- Free Comic Book Day is this Saturday!
- Find participating Huntsville comic shops below.
This year Free Comic Book Day takes place on Saturday, August 14, 2021. In an effort to support and nurture specialty comic book shops, to introduce new (and former) readers to the medium, and to thank current comic book readers for their support, participating stores will be giving out free (!!) comics all day!
Special edition comics will be available geared towards new readers. There will be a wide selection of comics and genres available, from traditional super-hero adventures from the big two Marvel and DC, lighter fare from Archie Comics and Disney, as well as manga and works from independent publishers.
Since its inception in 2002, Free Comic Book Day has grown into an event here in the Rocket City, with special appearances by various cos-playing groups, conventioneers, and die-hard fans. Of course, this year is a bit different, and there will be limited IRL events due to Covid-19. But these local comic shops still want to celebrate and would love for you to drop by – with your favorite superhero masks, of course!
While there, please support the industry and buy some comics. Knowledgeable staff will be on hand to offer recommendations for all ages (youngsters, pre-teens/teens, and the young-at-heart).
Free Comic Book Day in Huntsville
You can get the full list of free comics available HERE.
Below are listings of participating comics stores in Huntsville and Madison County, special events and promotions, as well as recommendations of what to get for each age group: youngster, pre-teen to teen, and adult. If you enjoy the free comics, also check out other suggested titles for sale.
Creamer & Cache Comics
- Special Events/Promotions: Come out to visit this new Huntsville comic shop and meet Fierce creators Raymond Sanders and Gabriel Smith. Anthony Horton with Shoebox Heroes will be there with some awesome art prints. Also purchase your favorite Fantasy Art Comics titles and get them signed all day long!
- Free Comics to Get: There will be new free comic selections available.
- Recommendations to Buy: Owner Amber Key has some great recommendations for young comic fans – Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries is very popular right now and brings a level of maturity to the Scooby universe that kids love; Star Wars is always an age-appropriate favorite comic; EVE is a new comic series about a young girl and her teddy bear that save the world in a dystopian future.
The Deep Comics & Games
- Special Events/Promotions: Usually, The Deep celebrates big during Free Comic Book Day, but due to Covid19 there will be no special in-person events this year.
- Free Comics to Get: There will be new free comic selections available for kids. Grab your mask and come check them out!
- Recommendations to Buy: For kids: Mega Man, Sonic the Hedgehog, My Little Pony, The Powerpuff Girls. For younger readers: Silk, Spider-Gwen, Batgirl, and Star Wars.
- Josh Olive owns Haven Comics and knows how important comics can be to kids. “I remember vividly my first comic book (X-Men #133), and putting a comic book in the hands of a kid who has never read one before is really special to me. If one kid develops a love of reading from that, it’s all worth it to me!”
- Special Events/Promotions: Haven is hosting their annual Food Drive for Manna House! Every non-perishable food item you bring for the food drive gets you an entry into an awesome raffle, with tons of great prizes. Special guests Stephen & Lily Butler will visit with fans. Steven Butler is known for his work on Web of Spider-Man and Silver Sable at Marvel, his work on the Malibu Ultraverse, and his long run on Sonic the Hedgehog. He and his daughter Lily recently release a father/daughter project called Fianna McCool and the Hound of Ulster. While you’re picking up free comics, get Steven to autograph one of your books or draw you a sketch! Follow their Facebook Event for more details.
- Recommendations: My Little Pony, X-Men, Power Rangers, Astrix, The Weirn Books, and more!
2nd & Charles in Madison
- Special Events/Promotions: No special in-person events this year.
- Free Comics to Get: Look for the Free Comics boxes at each register when you check out!
My Comic Recommendations
I must admit I am not current on comics but here is a list of series/graphic novels I have enjoyed over the years.
- Lone Wolf and Cub – this father/son story is a clear favorite
- Roller Girl – Twelve-year-old Astrid navigates junior high and chases her dream of being a “Roller Girl”.
- Saga – Two soldiers from opposite sides of a galactic war risk everything for their child.
- Fables – The mysterious Adversary conquers storybook fairytales and legends, causing Show White, Cinderella, the Big Bad Wolf, et al. to escape to New York City.
- Persepolis – a young girl’s memoir of growing up in Iran under the Islamic Revolution.
If you have any other recommendations, please leave them in the comments.
Sam Chow was born and raised in the Mississippi Delta. A 5th grade field trip to Space Camp started his lifelong love of technology and engineering. He juggled working in Huntsville while studying for his engineering degree at Mississippi State and moved here full-time in 2001. He and his lovely wife Connie were married in 2006 and currently have a five year old and a nine year old, a dog, and a cat. In his spare time he enjoys training and watching mixed martial arts, watching old foreign films, reading, and video gaming.