As Mother’s Day approaches, I can’t help but think about my boys and what kind of men they will become. Especially my youngest, who has been on my mind more than usual.
E is our brute. He’s the brawn to his brother’s brain, the sheer will to his brother’s nuance. But don’t be fooled – that is no indication of E’s intelligence. He’s just more direct with his manipulation. He’s cute, he knows it, and he totally uses it to his advantage. It’s the same trait I can see we’ll need to stay on top of to make sure it doesn’t morph into cockiness as he gets older. He’s more likely to cuddle with you and still asks to be held and carried occasionally… never mind he weighs the same (if not more) than his older brother. His hugs are fierce and frequent, and thankfully outnumbered by his outbursts… barely.
Once, when my husband was traveling for work, he was hanging out in the hotel bar and met an interesting character who claimed to be an “International Astrologer” with clients all over the world. (My husband has a face that encourages people to talk because this kind of thing happens to him all. the. time. He should’ve been a bartender or a therapist or a priest because folks want to confess their sins and discuss the details of their lives with him without him ever encouraging that kind of interaction.)
Anyway, they got to talking and International Astrologer asked about hub’s family. When he learned a little about E he got excited.
IA: “He sounds like a Crystal Child!”
Hubs: “Umm… OK. What’s that?”
IA proceeded to rattle off characteristics of the revered Crystal & Indigo Children.
Hubs proceeded to laugh, and to compare them to our E.
- Usually born after 2005. Check!
- Have magnetic personalities and are highly affectionate. Check!
- Usually late talkers. Check!
- They love water which is beneficial in soothing them as babies. Check. He’s a fish at the pool and loves the beach.
Then… it got weird.
- Uses telepathy and self invented sign language to communicate. Um. No.
- Are even-tempered, sweet, and loving; very forgiving of others. The temper on E is anything but. He holds a grudge and eats even-tempered for breakfast.
- Are natural healers and peacemakers. Nope. He’s usually the one inflicting the pain. His brother used to tell him often, “I’M a lover. YOU’RE a fighter.”
- Are very interested in crystals and rocks. Yeah… to THROW.
- Often are natural vegetarians and may have a high metabolism. Wrong. You know those images of cavemen with giant hunks of meat? That’s E.
- May be fearless explorers and climbers with an amazing sense of balance. Fearless, yes. Explorer, yes. But this kid is top-heavy and has sported at least two black eyes and countless goose eggs to prove it.
- Their energy may disrupt electrical appliances. Usually that’s because he’s smashed something into said appliance.
I think it’s safe to say that E is NOT part of a more evolved, enlightened race of humans, and that Crystal & Indigo Children are really just another way for doting parents to worship their kids instead of raising their kids. This results in more rotten, spoiled rugrats that grow up to become rotten, spoiled adults.
But that’s just me. Thankfully, I’ve got E.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.