Fall Break 2015 for $6 or Less
If you’re staying in town for Fall Break and you’ve forgone the myriad camps, you *might* at some point during the week be looking for some fun outside of your homestead. Likewise, you’re probably wanting to find activities that won’t bust the bank. Just in case, we’ve put together several great options that are all $6 or less! Be sure to mention Rocket City Mom when you go because many of these options are offering a special discount just for our readers!
Art in the Preserve
Every day of fall break Operation Green Team will be hosting “Art in the Preserve” at Hays Nature Preserve. From 9AM-2PM, parents and grandparents can bring their little ones by to enjoy some outdoor time and then create some art. It’s totally FREE and since they’ll be using paint, markers, crayons and glue we recommend wearing “play clothes” that can get messy.
- Monday, October 5 – Acorn Picture Frames
- Tuesday, October 6 – Paper Weights or Rock Garden Markers
- Wednesday, October 7 – Flower /Leaf Sun Catcher
- Thursday, October 8 – Pinecone Ornaments /Stick Yarn Weaving with Nature Items
- Friday, October 9 – Bring your own terra cotta pot.
Looking for some retail therapy? Make mom/dad and the kiddos happy with a trip to Bridgestreet Town Center. Ride the train ($3) & Carousel – ($2) and when you finish head over to the kids section of Barnes and Noble which boasts a train table AND a LEGO table.
Parks & Recreation
Area parks are a great option for fun because they wear your little ones out, they are easy play dates when other children are present (and they will be during fall break), and they are completely FREE! Before you head out the door be sure to check out our Parks Guide or better yet download our FREE smartphone app (available via the iTunes or Google Play stores) or text FamilyFunHSV to 44848. The app will tell you which parks are near you, what amenities they have, and if your GPS is turned on you can get a map with turn by turn directions!
Go for the Hat Trick
If trying out hockey has always been on your child’s checklist of life experiences (or maybe you’re only considering it this second, no biggie) then Thursday, October 8, you’re going to want to be at the Huntsville IcePlex! The North Alabama Hockey Association is offering a free trial and no experience (or equipment is needed). While walk-ups are welcome they do recommend you pre-register to secure your spot. Doors open at 10:30AM and the kids will be on the ice from 11:30AM-12:30PM.
Roll it Out
Skate Odyssey, Roller Time, and Carousel Skate Center are three local indoor roller rinks that offer lots of options for families to have fun all year round and this fall break they are offering plenty of specials to entice you to come try them out.
- Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday from 12-4PM Skate Odyssey will be holding Fall Break Skates. Entrance is only $5 plus $2 skate rental but if you mention RCM you get FREE Skate rental!
- Tuesday-Friday of this week Roller Time is offering an afternoon skate from 12PM-4PM with $5 admission and if you visit any (or all) of these days and you mention RCM you get free skate rental!
- Carousel Skate Center will also be open during Fall Break and just like the others a deal can be had if skating is your thing. Admission is $5 and skate rental is free if you mention RCM!
Run ’em (or Jump ’em) Ragged
It’s called Restless Kids Syndrome and all mothers recognize the signs. First children get whiny, then items in your home begin to break for inexplicable reasons, slapping and hitting of siblings may occur. Avoid this serious dilemma with great indoor play options many of whom are offering open play and discounts this week.
- Kidventure – Open Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri of this week, admission on THURSDAY is only $5 for the whole day (10AM-5PM) and if you have our super awesome RCM mobile app (available via iTunes or Google Play) check the “Shop/Deals” section for a coupon that gives you $6 entry per child for any of the other days! Children under 2 years are always free.
- Matrix Gym – Whiz Kids open gym is another “oldie but goodie” in our RCM arsenal but worth revisiting when looking for options for your littlest ones. Read our review here. Whiz Kids is offered six days a week. Check our RCM calendar or their website for exact times. Exclusively for children ages 6 and under it’s only $3 if you’re a member and $5 if you’re not.
- Pump It Up! is another RCM favorite and they know their audience because not only are they holding “open jumps” all week long (1-3PM) but each session will be a GLOW session. Check our RCM calendar or their Facebook page for the complete schedule. Admission is only $5 when mention RCM!
- Located in South Huntsville, Rocket Parlor is a relatively new option for open play and to encourage folks to check it out they’re offering FREE entry all week! So head on over and hang with your friends and enjoy music, crafts and more! Accompanying adults are always FREE to relax or participate. They’ll have a large variety of snacks and drinks ($1-3), unlimited game tokens ($4) great wifi, and comfy seating for all!
Do you have a budding entomologist among your brood? Even if you don’t, taking a daytrip down to Decatur is worth considering especially since the price is so competitive. The Cook’s Natural Science Museum is open Monday-Saturday from 9AM-5PM (but they are closed from 12-1 for lunch) and it’s completely free. Check out the Kids Corner on their site before heading down there and download free bug-related coloring books and puzzles.
Behold the Bookshelves!
Whether you visit virtually or in person (our favorite) the Huntsville Madison County Public Library is guaranteed to have something that will keep your kids of all ages occupied and entertained. In addition to their normal events, many branches are holding special fall break events like afternoon movies and crafts. Check this calendar to see what’s happening and get in on all the FREE fun.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.
You forgot WeatherFest this weekend at UAH!
This list is more about what to do next week but you’re absolutely correct this weekend and next are also jam packed with fun!