During the first week of August, I’ll join countless other parents in the rush to see their children off to school. Like many other parents, I’ll see my child off to Kindergarten. My only child starts school this year, and I am already starting to tear up writing this.
We’ve been getting ready for Kindergarten: pre-assessment meetings, Frye words, leveled readers, school supply list anxiety and gearing up for school shopping in general. I have compiled a list of great books about Kindergarten and starting school, and some of my general awesome favorites that got us through many bedtimes, rainy days, and road trips.
We read all of the time at my house – a side effect of me being a children’s librarian. I keep books in every room, and encourage my daughter to pick out her books for bed or storytime. We get stuck on favorites, sure, but discovering new ones is a joy when we visit the library. I am always looking for a new favorite to share. I hope some of these are familiar favorites that bring a smile to your face, and some bring you on new adventures.
Books about Kindergarten & Heading to School
- David Goes to School by David Shannon
- First Day Jitters by Julie Daneberg
- Look Out, Kindergarten, Here I Come by Nancy Carlson
- Chu’s First Day of School (Chu, #2) by Neil Gaiman
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
- Miss Bindergarten Gets Ready for Kindergarten by Joseph Slate
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems
- Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School-Shoes by Eric Litwin
- The Night Before Kindergarten by Natasha Wing
- Llama Llama books by Anna Dewdney
- The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
- Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten? by Audrey Vernick
- A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
- Planet Kindergarten by Sue Ganz-Schmitt
- Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes
- If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Joffe Numeroff
- Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell
- Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus (Junie B. Jones, #1) by Barbara Park
- Kindergarten Rocks! by Katie Davis
- School Bus by Donald Crews
- Mouse’s First Day of School by Lauren Thompson
- How Do Dinosaurs Go to School? by Jane Yolen
- Countdown to Kindergarten by Alison McGhee
- How Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills
- The Day My Mom Came to Kindergarten by Maureen Fergus
- Yoko Learns to Read by Rosemary Wells
- Bailey by Harry Bliss
- Wow! School! by Robert Neubecker
- Oliver and His Alligator by Paul Schmid
- Tom Goes to Kindergarten by Margaret Wild
- Monstergarten by Daniel J. Mahoney
- I Am Too Absolutely Small for School by Lauren Child
- Owen by Kevin Henkes
You Might Also Like…
Mandy Pinyan is a passionate book love from an early age, where being busted for bringing Stephen King to school (a book, not the guy) led to much reading by flashlight. She turned out okay. She is the Youth Services Coordinator and Manager of Outreach Services at the Huntsville Madison County Public Library Extension and Outreach Department, where she can be seen driving a Rainbow Van or a Bookmobile in between gigs. Mom to a precocious elementary student, Adelyn and wife to a ruggedly handsome outdoorsman with an obsession with planting bamboo, Mandy finds enjoyment in painting, gardening and geeking out over various pop culture. A small menagerie pf pets- dachshunds Matt Damon and Angel, kitty BB and Boston-Chihuahua-chupacabra mix Bailey just make the chaos complete.