Shop Local for 10 Awesome Things for 10 Awesome People
Here at Rocket City Mom, we are ALL ABOUT LOCAL. We eat, sleep, and breathe local. We cover local events, share information about local resources, and help our readers find local people and businesses to connect with. So, of course, we think everyone should shop local this holiday season.
By now you know that supporting small, local businesses helps the local economy but we’ve got another great reason to shop local – cool gifts. When you buy your holiday gift from a small local business you know it’s going to be unique. Why give the same old tired DVD or toy that anyone could buy from any big retail chain? This year, buy something AWESOME using our annual Huntsville Gift Guide!
See a gift you like? Each photo below is linked to a website or Facebook page that will help you find more information so you can go to the local shop and buy that cool gift (or others like it). We’d also like to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to our Gift Guide Sponsor, Van Valkenburgh & Wilkenson Realtors.
Here are our favorite gifts that are made right here in the Rocket City or are in some way Huntsville-centric. #ShopLocalYall[themify_box style=”light-green rounded” ]NOTE: RCM has not been compensated for the listings below. However, since we are blessed to partner with many awesome local businesses you will see some of our sponsors in this guide. You will also find plenty of awesome local businesses that don’t partner with us. Regardless of where you choose to shop this holiday season we hope you’ll choose to do some of it with local small businesses. [/themify_box]
Hometown Huntsville Gift Guide for 2018[themify_hr color=”orange” width=”75%” border_width=”1px” ]
1. Red Clay & Co. Candles
Red Clay & Co. is owned by a local mom. She creates these crafty candles with unique local names, and money from each candle goes back to the community. This year she is supporting local Special Olympics and 305 8th Avenue. These are long-lasting candles that smell wonderful and really pack a fragrant punch. $14 small | $28 large
2. Personalized pillow by Sass & Co.
These precious pillow covers are locally made and will tickle any Granny, Gram, MawMaw or GiGi! $32
3. Handmade Bowties by Emily at Harrison Brothers
Bowties are BACK and these locally handmade option will look dapper indeed. Find them at Harrison Brothers, Pimentos, or Reclaimed Spirit. Wholesale and custom orders also available! $25
4. A beautiful bouquet from Paper Petals Hsv
This fresh floral gift won’t fade or make your allergies act up! Want to send some long distance? Craft boxes are available! $15-40
5. Alexandra Tsoukala necklaces at the HMA Museum Store
These gorgeous multi-colored necklaces come four to a strand and are available in a variety of colors. We liked them so much we got one of each style. $30
6. The Big Dixie wallet by Holtz Leather Co.
These personal, handcrafted leather gifts will only get better with age. Make a lasting impression and get something truly unique! $65
7. Magnatabs at the HMA Museum Store
These creative (and addictive!) toys will have your kids tossing aside their iPads. Great for travel and for that all-important hand/eye coordination little ones need. There are three varieties: Standard, Glow-in-the-Dark, and Alphabet. $20-34
8. Trash Panda apparel at Bridge Street
Show your Rocket City Trash Panda pride & root for the new home team with these shorts, hoodies, and caps. $15-50
9. Koontz Science Kits at Schoolcraft
Not just for teachers anymore, Schoolcraft has a large selection of unique toys, books, gifts, games, and educational items. Santa can stock up and shop local! These STEM kits are guaranteed to please, and they have a great selection of children’s books too. $10-20
10. Fow Wow at Huntsville Visitor Center
We dig Fow Wow’s local Jam for a uniquely Huntsville gift. We think their stuff is groovy, and you will too! Coozies are just $5, and shirts, hats, and mugs range from $15-$40. There’s also a good selection at University Pickers.
Bonus Black Friday Deal!
Discounted Space Camp
This is the ONLY time of the year Space Camp is discounted! Get $100 off 2019 summer weeklong camps in Space Camp, Aviation Challenge, Space Camp Robotics and U.S. Cyber Camp. Also, the sale includes $50 off of Family Space Camp (families with kids as young as 7) and Adult Space Camp. Discount code will go live at that webpage at 12:01 a.m. CST on Black Friday.
10 Gifts Under $12[themify_hr color=”orange” width=”75%” border_width=”1px” ] We’re always on the lookout for unique things to give teachers, neighbors, and our BFF the mail carrier. These gifts under $12 can help you find something perfect for those important people in your life! [huge_it_slider id=”16″]
1. We love these poignant & personal Hand-Drawn Portraits $10 at Studio 202 in Lowe Mill.
2. Make a friend’s day with these You’re Awesome Pop Open Cards. $7 Inspired Gifts
3. Pep up someone’s cocoa with these Peppermint Swirl Spoons. $7 HMA Museum Store
4. Every tired parent you know will appreciate an Olde Towne Coffee gift card. (Mention RCM and they might throw in a mug with larger orders!)
5. Who wouldn’t love these adorable Felt Animal Ornaments in yoga poses? $12 HMA Museum Store
6. Someone you know needs this Queen Bee Everything Spoon. $10 Inspired Gifts
7. Pablo’s Hot & Sweet Pickles enhance pretty much everything IMO. $7 The Little Green Store
8. Show your #iHeartHsv love with this Rocket City note pad by Ace & Bear! $7 Inspired Gifts
9. 1818 Farms Cuticle Cream & Goat Milk Soap smell heavenly! $7.50 $8 Inspired Gifts
10. Planet Putty makes a great stocking stuffer for kids! $3 HMA Museum Store[box style=”comment” ]The local stores covered here are just the tip of the iceberg. Did we fail to include your favorite? Share your go-to mom and pop shop in the comments so all our RCM readers can find great gifts this holiday season! [/box]
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.