Rocket City NerdCon is a convention hosted by the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library at our Downtown Branch. The convention, sponsored in part by local gaming company Curse Inc., celebrates all things nerdy with various programs, a cosplay contest, and vendors and is an excellent opportunity for fans of different pop culture topics to gather and nerd out together!
A big priority of the convention is to be family-friendly, and this year we have even more kid-friendly activities. Due to the success of last year’s convention, we are adding another day to the convention and selling weekend and day passes; giving families more flexibility in planning their weekend at the convention. Kids 10 years and under enter free with a paid adult 18 years or older. Proceeds from ticket sales go towards funding materials and programs at your local library.
Make and take kids crafts will be available in the Youth Services area for all three days. Drop by often to make your own creations inspired by video games, Star Wars, Pokémon, comics, My Little Pony, Adventure Time, and Harry Potter.
2015 Schedule of Kid’s Events
- On Saturday, Oct 24th at 9:30am start off your day with our special guest, The Wild Things. The talented Bailey Cove and Eleanor Murphy Library Puppet Troupe will put on a show guaranteed to have you and your little one laughing out loud with their witty banter and rambunctious antics.
- On Saturday and Sunday, there is a continuous schedule of hands on activities, science experiments, and fun games. Make Ghostbusters Ectoplasm, play Pokémon bingo, or create tasty treats like Gryffindor Popcorn and Adipose Pop.
- Put on those Halloween costumes early and participate in our cosplay contest on Saturday at 2:30pm. There will be kids, teens, adults, and a group category. The group category is an opportunity for a fun costume theme for the whole family!
- Our special guest, Jen Wang, who along with Corey Doctorow co-authored In Real Life, a graphic novel about teen girl gamers, and wrote the comic series Adventure Time with Fionna & Cake: Card Wars, will be speaking and signing copies of her works on Saturday and Sunday.
- Attend our family friendly panels and programs like Disney Singalong, Muppet Trivia, Harry Potter Theories, Doctor Who, Cosplaying, and Crochet your Fandom.
- The Teen Masquerade Ball will be Saturday evening in the library from 8:00pm-midnight for tweens and teens, ages 12-19. There will be costumes, food, and music. Tickets are $10 in advance and available separately from the convention ticket.
Parents, I haven’t forgotten about you!
- Our vendor’s booth area is even bigger this year. There are booths throughout the library with organizations on the 1st floor, vendors on the 2nd floor, and authors and artists on the 3rd floor. Take some time to browse one of the most popular areas of our convention and pick up some nerdy items for yourself or that special nerd in your life.
- Take a break by visiting our Adult Coloring Table in the 2nd floor vendor’s area. There will be a variety of designs to color and take a breather from convention activities.
- Doctor Who fans will want to meet our special guest, Simon Fraser. He is the regular artist from the 11th Doctor Who Comic from Titan Comics. He also runs the celebrated New York based Webcomics collective ACTIVATEcomix.com. He will be speaking on Saturday and signing copies of comics.
- Parents need a night out too. Join us for Enchantment under the Sea at Yellowhammer Brewery. This after hours event themed after the prom from Back to the Future is for adults 21 years and older and will feature a cosplay contest and live music from videogame rock/nerdcore band The Mad Gear.
- Once again, Sylvester Photography will be doing photo sessions as a fundraiser for the library. Deck yourself out with a cool accessories and props and take that family photo you’ve been wanting. For each donation at the booth, you will receive a link to download a copy of your high resolution digital image.
- Various food trucks will be onsite so that you can conveniently purchase meals and snacks during the convention.
2015 Rocket City NerdCon Details
When: Friday, October 23 (4pm-9pm); Saturday, October 24 (9am-5pm); Sunday, October 25 (1pm-5pm)
Where: Huntsville Public Library Main branch (map)
Prices (in advance): Weekend pass for all 3 days – $35
Single day pass – $15
Kids 10 years and under enter free with a paid adult (18 yrs and up) ticket.
Tickets can be purchased online or at the front desk of your closest library branch. Advance pricing is available through Thursday, October 22nd. Prices increase to $45 for the weekend pass and $20 for the day pass starting Friday, October 23rd.
As a hyper-local website focused on all aspects of parenting in and around Huntsville, AL, and the Tennessee Valley, Rocket City Mom occasionally asks local parents to submit their stories for publication. This is part of our continual effort to represent varied viewpoints and experiences on our site. However, these articles should not be seen as necessarily expressing the views of Rocket City Mom Media Group, LLC.