It’s time to sharpen your pencils and dust off your backpacks! The Alabama Department of Revenue is hosting their annual back to school tax free weekend to help local families stock up on school supplies.
We decided to challenge Rocket City Mom readers by surprising them when they were out shopping. Would they know which items on the list were tax-free and which items weren’t? Watch and find out!
Surprising Tax-Free Items
- Backpacks are tax-free, purses and briefcases are not
- Rain boots are tax-free, soccer cleats are not
- Hosiery is tax-free, hair bows are not
- Diapers are tax-free, tampons are not
- Books are tax-free, magazines are not
- Calculators are tax-free, desk lamps for dorm rooms are not
You Might Also Like…
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.