Home » Spring Break for $6 or Less
OK. Let’s be honest, so far the weather isn’t exactly cooperating with the whole Spring Break theme. It’s not miserable and it’s plenty nice enough to hang out at the Huntsville Botanical Garden’s SANDtastic Works of Art exhibit or check out Burritt’s Treasure Hunt at Gold Mountain but that’s one day (or two) and you’ve got a whole week to fill!
If your staycation strategy of hitting the local parks all week is starting to look like “the best laid plans” don’t fret. Below we’ve got lots of great options for ways to spend the rest of your spring break and they are all inside and all cost $6 or less. Be sure to mention Rocket City Mom when you go because many of these options are offering a special discount just for our readers!
1. Roll it Out
Skate Odyssey and Roller Time are two local indoor roller rinks that offer lots of options for families to have fun all year round and this spring break they are offering plenty of specials to entice you to come try them out.
- Each day this week Skate Odyssey has a School’s Out Skate from 12-5PM. Entrance is only $5 plus $2 skate rental but if you mention RCM you get $1 off admission!
- This Tuesday-Thursday Roller Time is offering an afternoon skate from 12PM-4PM with $5 admission and on Friday they have a 10-hour skate (12PM-10PM) for $5. Visit any (or all) of these days and if you mention RCM you get free skate rental!
2. Run ’em (or Jump ’em) Ragged
It’s called Restless Kids Syndrome and all mothers recognize the signs. First children get whiny, then items in your home begin to break for inexplicable reasons, slapping and hitting of siblings may occur. Avoid this serious dilemma with Kidventure, Matrix Gym, and/or Pump It Up!. All are great indoor play options and all are offering open play and discounts this week.
- Kidventure – the last Tuesday of every month is half-price admission and lucky for us, that happens to be this week! $5.75 gets you all day admission and that’s a price that can’t be beat.
- Matrix Gym – Whiz Kids open gym is another “oldie but goodie” in our RCM arsenal but worth revisiting when looking for options for your littlest ones. Read our review here. This week’s offerings are Wednesday from 12:15-1:15PM and again on Friday morning from 9:15-10:15AM. Exclusively for children ages 6 and under it’s only $3 if you’re a member and $5 if you’re not.
- Pump It Up! is another RCM favorite and they know their audience because not only are they holding “open jumps” all week long but many morning sessions have BUBBLES 🙂 Open jumps include Tuesday-Friday from 10AM-Noon, Tues/Thurs from 2-4PM and Wed from 3:30-5:30PM. Check their Facebook page for a complete schedule. Regular admission is $7 but mention RCM to get $1 off!
3. Explore Entomolgy
Do you have a budding entomologist among your brood? Even if you don’t, taking a daytrip down to Decatur is worth considering especially since the price is so competitive. The Cook’s Natural Science Museum is open Monday-Saturday from 9AM-5PM (but they are closed from 12-1 for lunch) and it’s completely free. Check out the Kids Corner on their site before heading down there and download free bug-related coloring books and puzzles.
4. Behold the Bookshelves!
Whether you visit virtually or in person (our favorite) the Huntsville Madison County Public Library is guaranteed to have something that will keep your kids of all ages occupied and entertained. In addition to their normal events, many branches are holding special spring break events like afternoon movies and crafts. Check this calendar to see what’s happening and get in on all the FREE fun.
Jennifer is the creator and co-editor of Rocket City Mom. She is also a compulsive writer, avid reader, occasional singer and former communications wizard turned toddler wrangler. You can often spot her and her little ones cruising the kiddie hot-spots in their "Rocket Van".