If your “It’s a New Year, new me” energy has failed you, there just might be some hope for a recharge! Healthy Huntsville and Scale Back Alabama will be returning this year with some exciting new changes for busy parents on the go!
The program will kick-off on March 1 (be sure to register before February 28) and will include virtual programs, optional teams, individualized goals, weekly challenges, more prizes and best of all: a focus on overall healthy living with less emphasis on weight loss.
Be a Goal Getter
Participants will be able to set three personal goals for a chance to be entered into a prize drawing for Amazon gift cards! In years past the only goal was for participants to lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks, but this year the goals take a more overall wellness approach and even include some options that would be perfect for expecting parents. In addition, there will be weekly challenges that can also result in prizes. Goals include:
- Drink 64 oz. of water 5 or more days each week
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep 5 or more nights each week
- Do strength training activities 2 or more days each week
- Limit screen time to 2 hours or less per day for entertainment, 5 or more days each week
- Eat at least 3 servings of fruits 5 or more days each week
- Eat at least 5 servings of veggies 5 or more days each week
- Lose 1-2 pounds each week
- Get at least 30 minutes of physical activity 5 or more days each week
- Eat a nutritious breakfast 5 or more days each week
- Practice at least one stress relieving technique on 5 or more days each week
Virtually Anything is Possible
Previously, Scale Back Alabama partnered with Healthy Huntsville and the Parks and Recreation Department to host regular weigh ins. This year you can skip the lines and keep track of all your health goals on Scale Back Alabama’s website. In addition, you’ll receive weekly challenges and tips for your overall health. You can also follow Healthy Huntsville and Huntsville Parks & Recreation for free classes and inspiration.
With the new virtual approach you can work on your health while remaining socially distanced. In addition, teams are optional this year meaning you can limit your exposure but still have accountability partners if you choose.
Register for Your Free Health Challenge
Scale Back Alabama is a free, statewide wellness program for adults, ages 18 or older, who live in Alabama or work for an Alabama-based organization. It is designed to encourage Alabamians to get healthy and have fun while doing it. Deadline to register is February 28.
You Might Also Like…
Lauren Lee is a longtime dog mom transitioning to life as a rookie human mom. She is married to her college sweetheart, Josh, and they are looking forward to meeting their son later this year. Lauren is a Jacksonville State University alumni and has been a published writer since she was sixteen. In her free time, Lauren enjoys reading, writing, knitting and hiking with her two dogs.