United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) of Huntsville & Tennessee Valley, Inc. has a mission. In the most official terms, it’s this:
To enhance the quality of life for individuals with disabilities and promote their independence, self-sufficiency and full citizenship in the community through direct services, assistive technology, education, training, and advocacy.
This July, we need your help to further our mission – just by spreading the word about a unique opportunity…
More Than Cerebral Palsy
Though this mission has a lot of components that directly affect those with disabilities, this summer we’re working, together with Rocket City Mom, to ensure the Tennessee Valley knows we’re focusing on that oh so important “independence” part.
You see, what you might not know about UCP is, in addition to cerebral palsy, our clients represent 177 other diagnoses and we offer numerous services ultimately impacting the lives of people with disabilities at any age; one such program is the Bellows Fund.
The Elsie S. Bellows Fund was established in 1995 to provide assistive technology equipment to individuals with disabilities. Operated by United Cerebral Palsy, this fund provides grants for purchasing equipment that increases, maintains or improves the functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities. The only requirement? Applicants must demonstrate financial need and not have other funding resources. Assistive technology can play a major role in increasing the independence of individuals with disabilities and we’re looking to help families who need it! So, if you know a family or individual who could use any of the following, let’s create some community “fireworks” in their lives!
Here’s how it works:
- You must live within the Alabama Counties we serve; Madison, Morgan, Jackson, Limestone, Cullman or Marshall.
- Complete the initial application HERE including the attached professional recommendation.
- Submit your application via email to email@example.com by the August 30th deadline. If you need assistance with completing the application, please contact Stephanie Wright at 256-852-5600.
- Following submission, you will be contacted by our staff to review and ensure accuracy of the information provided.
- Those selected by UCP Huntsville to be nominated to the ultimate decision makers at the national level will be notified on approval of their acceptance.
- Funds will be distributed until depleted.
Examples of eligible assistive technology might include:
- Wheelchairs (manual and electric)
- Augmentative communication devices (ACD)
- Environmental controls
- Computer equipment
- Lifts in the applicant-owned or nominee’s parent’s van or home
- Hearing aids
Examples of ineligible assistive technology include:
- Evaluations of other assistive technology “services”
- Furniture and appliances (that are not adapted)
Thank you for helping United Cerebral Palsy and Rocket City Mom give back a little freedom to those in our community with disabilities.
To learn even more about the Bellows Fund, how to apply or any of our many other services, contact UCP of Huntsville & Tennessee Valley at 256-859-4900.