I have lived in the Harvest & Monrovia area for 15 years. Living in this area of Madison County allows me to be close enough to the city to take advantage of everything Huntsville has to offer, plus I get to have this great little community with it’s own happenings.
Here are some things that you may enjoy if you are ever in my neck of the woods. Or if you are new to the area, welcome, I hope that you find this guide helpful. If you have your own favorites, please be sure to share them. I love discovering new favorites!
Baseball and softball families will get to know Phillips Park really well. From the first crack of the bat in March, this place is a flurry of activity. There is a playground and a walking track at the park that are used year-round. The bathrooms are only open during baseball/softball activities, so plan accordingly. The library and community center are right next door though.
Harvest Square Preserve
This is a beautiful greenspace maintained by The Land Trust. There are about 2 ½ miles of trails, 2 ponds for fishing, and a small pavilion with picnic tables. It is also a good place to pick blackberries in July; just don’t forget the insect repellant. There are no bathrooms on sight, but there is a Publix nearby and several fast food joints if the need arises.
Monrovia Community Center
Connected to our library, the community center offers basketball, volleyball, an indoor walking track, and party/meeting rooms. There are fees for some activities.
My family and I love our local library. They are connected to and supported by the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library. They offer weekly programs for ages toddler up to adult and the librarians are always friendly and helpful.
Date Night and Family Friendly
- Los Trojas – A local favorite for good food, trivia, and live music
- Mi Casa – One of my personal favorites for a quiet meal. Try the fish tacos!
- 5 A’s – This is our local Mediterranean restaurant offering all your favorites including gyros, felafels, and kabobs
- Grandma’s & Pa’s Southern Cooking & BBQ – If you can’t tell by the name, this is the place for southern cooking
Quick Eats, Take-Out, & Treats
- Johnny Gryll’s – Wings, burgers, and sandwiches
- KaleidoScoops – Ice cream, need I say more
- Lawlers Barbecue – Long standing local favorite with a drive through
- Snappy Pizza – The pizza my family compares all other pizzas to. My favorite is the Veggie Mediterranean, and don’t forget to add the banana peppers!
Local Gift Shops
Great for a birthday present or teacher’s gift!
Birthday Party Places
You Might Also Like…