Home » “Kids and Kin” Offers Free Classes in August & September
The Family Guidance Center of Alabama is offering classes just for relatives raising kids that aren’t their own. The classes will take place at several locations in Madison County and Huntsville, and are specifically designed to meet the needs of relative child care providers and to raise their level of awareness about the importance of their roles in children’s lives.
This free statewide program provides support and assistance for grandparents, aunts, uncles, and older siblings who provide child care. Hosted in the City of Huntsville’s Parks & Rec facilities, this program is another way strong families can be enriched and supported by their hometown. Not only that, qualified participants who complete the program will earn $150 in free toys and educational materials!
Kids and Kin Fall 2017 Schedule
All sessions are from 10:00 AM – Noon
Cavalry Hills Community Center Classes
- August 8: RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus)
- August 15: Keeping Children With Disabilities Safe
- September 8: Head Banging in Children
- September 19: The 5 Love Languages
New Hope Public Library Classes
- August 11: RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus)
- August 25: Keeping Children with Disabilities Safe
- September 15: Head Banging in Children
- September: The 5 Love Languages
Kim Broyles, Child Care Partner for the Kids and Kin Program at the Family Guidance Center knows how important these family relationships are. “If you want to make a difference in the life of a niece, nephew or grandchild, join us at Kids and Kin group to learn from experts in the fields of education, child development, mental health, and health care. Together we will explore the latest information, share ideas and community resource information, and support each other.”
Eligibility Requirements to participate in the Kids and Kin Program
– Must be at least 19 years old
– Must be providing child care for a grandchild, niece, nephew, or sibling who is not over 12 years of age
– Cannot be the child’s legal guardian or foster parent
– Cannot be a licensed child care provider
Got questions about these classes? Contact Kim Broyles, Child Care Partner for the Kids and Kin program at the Family Guidance Center, by calling 256-724-2554 or via E-mail.
Kids and Kin Program Details
See schedule above for dates & times
Address: Calvary Hill Neighborhood Center, 2900 Fairbanks St NW, Huntsville, AL 35816 (map)
Phone: (256) 427-5800
You Might Also Like…
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.