January weekends are usually pretty quiet in North Alabama, but this weekend still has some fun things going on in the Huntsville area for kids & their families. Our full Event Calendar also has more activities happening in Huntsville this weekend if you don’t see anything below that suits your fancy. Just be smart – don’t forget your mask and hand sanitizer if you choose to go out. And please just stay home if you’re able.
Huntsville Weekend Fun (at a safe distance)
As we do every week we’ve curated what we think are your best bets for finding a little family fun (and joy) this Huntsville weekend below, but be sure to check out our full calendar if you don’t see anything you like here.
- It’s your last chance to go Skating in the Park before it’s gone until next season! Details
- Get your kids wild about majestic whooping cranes at Cook Museum. Details
- FREE – In fact, there’s a whole weekend Festival of the Cranes celebration at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. Details
- FREE – Operation Christmas Cleanup is a great opportunity to clear out all that holiday cardboard. Details
- FREE – There’s even a household Glass Recycling event on Saturday as well! Details
- FREE – Go on a Beginner’s Hike with the whole family at one of these local trails. Details
- Observe the Winter Skies in a truly unique way at the INTUITIVE Planetarium. Details
- FREE – Let the kids tap into their inner artist at Create Saturdays at HMA. Details
- Experience a lightbulb moment at the Space & Rocket Center‘s IDEAS Lab on Saturday. Details
- FREE – The Grissom Choral Festival is virtual this year, and who couldn’t use a little joyful singing? Details
- FREE – Students in 8th-12th grades can take a free ACT/SAT 101 class. Details
- Cheer on the Chargers at a UAH Hockey game this Friday & Saturday. Details
So that’s what we know about. Did we miss something cool happening in the Huntsville area? Leave in the comments or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a free/cheap family-friendly event you want added to our calendar feel free to submit anytime but keep in mind we have other jobs too so give us a few days heads up 🙂
- Huntsville’s Ultimate Birthday Party Planning Guide
- Pregnancy & Childbirth Guide to Huntsville
- Here’s Where Kids Eat Free Every Day of the Week in Huntsville
DISCLAIMER: We do our best at Rocket City Mom to provide accurate, useful information about events and activities. This information (such as times and locations) is gathered from user submissions, press releases, local newspapers, signs around town and word of mouth. While we always try to confirm details before they are posted in the Huntsville Weekend Roundup, sometimes details change or we are given inaccurate information. Whenever possible we link our write-ups to the source in which our information came from and strongly urge you to confirm details before you go, especially when it comes to outdoor events and weather.
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.