Is midnight laughable in your house? If everyone is down for the count by 10PM (or earlier!) why not consider celebrating a little early? Or maybe your older child is super PUMPED about spending New Year’s Eve with friends… AWAY from parents. We’ve put together a great list of Huntsville events for the weekend, plus some that are kid-friendly for New Year’s Eve.
Of course, you could always stay home and plan your own NYE Party with your kids… But if you’re lucky enough to have a sitter for the last night of 2018, check out fun grownups-only things to do here and here.
Our full Event Calendar also has more activities happening in Huntsville this weekend is you don’t see anything below that suits your fancy.
Free & Cheap Events
Go Light Hunting
Now through the season!
Cost: FREE, plus gas
Various locations | More Info
Gas up the car, bundle up the kids, and go looking for Christmas lights all over Huntsville. We made it super easy with our master list with a MAP!
Last Call for Holiday Fun!
Now – Dec. 31
If your wallet is feeling some hurt after holiday purchases but you still want to get out and have some free fun with your family, consider these no-charge holiday attractions in their last days:
- Tinsel Trail – Big Spring Park, Huntsville (Through Jan. 5)
- Christmas Card Lane – Downtown Madison (Through Dec. 31)
- North Poll Stroll – Downtown Athens (Through Dec. 28)
- Enchanted Forest – Decatur (Through Jan. 1)
- Holiday Lane – New Market (Through Dec. 30)
Community Kwanzaa Celebration
Thursday at 5:00 PM
Showers Center | More Info
Enjoy African dance, storytelling, light refreshments and more at this 6th annual event that teaches the Seven Principals of the holiday.
Open Gym Time
Thursday – Saturday
The Matrix Gym | More Info
Kids under the age of 6 years can run & jump to their hearts content six days a week. A Saturday gym is also available for kids ages 6-11 at 9:30 AM. Read our review.
PSSSST!!! You’ll find even more free events in our full Event Calendar!
Worth the Money
Last Call for Galaxy of Lights Driving Nights
Now – Dec. 31st
Cost: $25 per car
Huntsville Botanical Garden | More Info
It’s your last chance to see this award-winning holiday light extravaganza featuring larger-than-life animated light displays!
Kid-Friendly NYE Countdown
Monday from 8-9 PM
Cost: $5-10 per person
Big Spring Park | More Info
Skating in the Park is hosting a kid-friendly countdown for families who want to celebrate the new year a little early. Countdown the Lil’ Ball Drop at 9PM with fun activities and DJ Boskii. (Of course, you can also stay for the Glow Up Party from 9:30 – Midnight too!)
Mars Masquerade for Grown-Ups
Monday 8PM – 1AM
U.S. Space & Rocket Center | More Info
Definitely NOT a kid event and not even near free, but a very unique NYE event in the Rocket City you won’t forget!
What Attractions Are Closed New Year’s Day?
- Alabama Constitution Village
- Burritt on the Mountain
- EarlyWorks Children’s Museum
- Huntsville Botanical Garden
- Historic Huntsville Depot
- Huntsville/Madison County Visitor Center
- Huntsville Madison County Public Libraries
- Huntsville Museum of Art – Skating in the Park is open!
- Lowe Mill ARTS & Entertainment
- U.S. Space & Rocket Center
- U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum
You Might Also Like…
- New Year Resolutions That Have Nothing to Do With Diet, Fitness, or Finances
- Parent Reviews of Huntsville Restaurants
- 5 Resolutions Moms Can Keep Past January