April showers bring… temporary relief from that fine coating of pollen covering everything outside. Good thing there’s lots of indoor AND outdoor fun happening in Huntsville for families this weekend! We’ve listed our favorite free and/or cheap things to do, as well as some seasonal events worth your money & time.
- Use our Summer Camp Guide to plan out your summer
- Check our Giveaway Page to win tickets to awesome events for kids!
- How many things have you already checked off the Spring Must List?
- Find out this year’s Family Favorites Awards Winners!
NOTE: It looks like typical Alabama April weather this weekend – call ahead to confirm events if it rains!
Free & Cheap
Biergarten Under the Rocket
Thursday from 4:30 – 7:30 PM
Cost: FREE admission, $$ for dinner
USSRC Davidson Center | More Info
Why not kick off your weekend early and listen to German oompah tunes underneath a giant rocket? This truly Huntsville experience benefit local charities and is kid & dog friendly.
Free Movie at Fern Bell
Friday at 5:00 PM
Fern Bell Park | More Info
This free movie series kicks off with Wreck It Ralph – the movie starts at sundown, and picnics are welcome!
Sip & See at Hays
Saturday at 8:00 AM
Hays Nature Preserve | More Info
Springtime is our favorite at Hays! Come see what’s new & enjoy nature at this guided coffee & juice walk. Kids will love the outdoor playground.
Countdown to Kindergarten
Saturday at 10:00 AM
Madison Public Library | More Info
Bring your 3-5 year old to explore and practice the skills your child needs for a smooth transition into kindergarten.
Saturday & Sunday from 9AM – 5PM
Cost: FREE – $5 donation
St. Bernard Abbey in Cullman | More Info
Over 140 vendor booths, food, carts & crafts, and more are found every year at this popular Spring festival recognized as one of the “Top Twenty Events in the Southeast”.
Spring Festival & Community Car Show
Saturday from 10AM – 2PM
Asbury UMC | More Info
Kids will love the activities & inflatables, plus the chance to sit inside a real SWAT truck. Parents will love the cool cars & food.
Historic Twickenham Walking Tour
Saturday at 10:00 AM
Constitution Hall Park | More Info
Learn a little local history and enjoy the fresh air with these walking tours led by a knowledgeable guide. Plus they’re stroller friendly! Get the full Spring schedule here.
Sample Summer Camp for an Afternoon
Sunday from 1:00 – 4:00 PM
Pine Ridge Day Camp | More Info
Curious about summer camp but not sure your kids will like it? Sample some fun today with activities & tours, plus get some face time with the counselors.
Discover a Good Deal
Sales All Weekend (see below)
Cost: FREE admission
Everyone loves a good bargain, and these local weekend sales & markets will have plenty for Easter & Spring.
- Sparkman High School Community Yard Sale – Saturday from 8AM – 3PM
- Madison Market – Saturday from 9AM – 2PM
- MOPS Market & Craft Show – Saturday from 9AM – 2PM
- Spring Craft Fair in Athens – Saturday from 10AM – 2PM
- Kid’s Market Consignment Sale – Thursday – Sunday
- Athens Kid’s Mart – Thursday – Sunday
Worth the Money
Astronomy For All
Friday from 6-9 PM
U.S. Space & Rocket Center | More Info
This after-hours event at the new INTUITIVE Planetarium features hands-on activities for the whole family! Read our review before you go.
Enjoy a Night Out
Friday from 5:30 – 11:00 PM
Need a Date Night? Leave the kids to have their own fun at this Parent’s Night Out.
- Parent’s Night Out at the Matrix – Friday from 5:30 – 8:30 PM (2-10 years old)
- Friday Night Flip-Out at The Matrix – Friday from 8:30 – 11:00 PM (ages 10-18)
Spring Fling Special Train Rides
Saturday at 10AM and 1PM
North AL Railroad Museum | More Info
Your little train-lover will be SO EXCITED to catch a fun ride on a historic train! Read our Parent Review, then go grab your tickets in advance online. A fun day, rain or shine.
Spring Farm Days at Burritt
Saturday from 10AM – 4PM
Sunday from Noon – 4PM
Cost: FREE for members, general admission for non-members
Burritt On the Mountain | More Info
Visit the barnyard animals, experience historic skills, and learn about life on the farm during the 1800’s. Watch demonstrations and learn what attending school was like in 1918 in the new Rosenwald Schoolhouse. We LOVE this annual event!
Go See a Show!
Friday – Sunday
Cost: Ranges from $10-20
Spring is a GREAT time to catch a show with your kids in Huntsville! Just look at all your options this weekend…
- Peter Pan, the Musical presented by Grissom Fine Arts: Friday – Sunday
- Catch Me If You Can presented by Bob Jones Musical Theatre: Thursday – Saturday
- HHS Theatre presents Disney’s Newsies : Friday through Sunday
“The Wild” Chinese Lantern Festival
Now – May 19
Cost: Daytime Free for members, general admission for non-members
Evening festival admission $8-24
Huntsville Botanical Garden | More Info
This breath-taking new exhibit at HBG is visually stunning. Enjoy glowing lanterns, Chinese arts & crafts, shadow puppets, and kung fu demonstrations throughout the Garden. Purchase advance tickets online here and save time!
You Might Also Like…
- Athens Family Fun in April
- Madison Family Fun in April
- 2019 SUMMER Camp Guide to Huntsville & North AL
- Spring Activities in Huntsville & North AL