Just in time for the beginning of Spring Break, Carmike Cinemas, Valley Bend 18 will be offering Sensory Friendly Films for any family with children who find it difficult to sit quietly in the dark through an entire film.
It’s companies like Carmike that make living in the Rocket City such a pleasure for spectrum families like mine. The volume of the movies will be reduced, the lights will be dimmed but not turned off, and you and your family will be surrounded by other families who completely understand that bouncing in the seat, laughing at a scene that ended 10 minutes ago, and watching every single word of the credits is crucially important. In other words, you’ll be among friends.
The movies include:
- March 21 – Cinderella | Trailer
- March 28 – Home (Animated) | Trailer
- April 16 – Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 | Trailer
- May 2 – Avengers 2: Age of Ultron | Trailer
- May 23 – Tomorrowland | Trailer
- June 20 – Inside Out (The new Pixar Film, also Animated) | Trailer
- July 10 – Minions (Animated) | Trailer
- July 25 – Pan | Trailer
- August 8 – Fantastic Four | Trailer
- August 15 – Underdogs (Animated) | Trailer
From One Parent to Another
Carmike is our theater of choice, and Matthew and I regularly go to the movies there. They have always, even on not sensory movie days, gone out of their way to be welcoming, supportive, and helpful (even that time that Matthew had a full-on meltdown in the restroom). They have a family restroom that is large and private, and they have never minded when I have brought in special snacks and a drink for Matthew. I do always make a point of also buying snacks there as well.
This will be a great time to catch a flick with your family. Please come out and enjoy the movies among friends.