There’s a new Fall festival in town, and it’s sure to appeal to the little history buffs at your house! Kids who love American Girl and Hamilton the Musical will especially love Burritt on the Mountain’s first annual Folklife Festival!
Experience traditional arts, skills, and handicrafts of our region from the 1800s & early 1900s through music, dance, and demonstrations by local artisans and craftspeople. This hands-on event is fun for the whole family with activities from 10am-4pm.
“We are thrilled with the craftspeople joining us for the Folklife Festival since visitors are always fascinated by our blacksmiths, flint knapper, flute maker, lace maker, open hearth cook, leather worker, musicians and dancers,” remarks Director of Education, Tammy Cooney. “We are excited to be adding new demonstrations that include pottery, printmaking, painting, and woodworking where visitors can learn to turn their very own pen on a lathe.”
Along with the hands-on crafts and demonstrations, there will be music throughout the day featuring folk and Americana music, Native American flute playing, storytelling, Old Time Appalachian Clogging, Dulcimer music, Irish Dance, and more! O Taste & See Food Truck will be on site serving up sandwiches, hot dogs and desserts. Admission to the festival is included in general admission prices, from $8-$10.
- 11:30 – 12:30 | Ashley Kent performing mandolin, banjolin & guitar Bluegrass music
- 12:30 – 1:30 | SarahJayne performing Americana/blues/folk blend
- 1:30 – 2:30 | Native American flute playing & storytelling by Billy Whitefox
- 2:30 – 3:30 | American Folk Music by Ira Leitner
- 11:00-1:00 | Old Time Appalachian Clogging by Step It Up
- 1:00 – 2:00 | Irish Dance: Origin of Appalachian Dance Forms by Torain Academy of Irish Dance
- 2:00 -3:00 | Traditional Folk Music by Huntsville Traditional Music Association
- 10:00-12:00 | Dulcimer music by Dulci-Jam’rs
Folklife Festival Details
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.