It is officially Fall here in the Rocket City. The weather has been just about as gorgeous as we could ever ask for. But I know the really cold weather is on it’s way, and I have pulled out all of my soup recipe cards. We have already been enjoying soup a couple times a week.
Why Soup is the Perfect Food
Soup is one of the most popular foods of Fall for a lot of reasons.
- It warms us from the inside out.
- You can have a pot of soup simmering away on the stove all evening or in the slow cooker all day and dinner is ready whenever you are.
- Soup is a very budget-friendly meal that stretches easily and the leftovers are even better.
- It can be made ahead and frozen.
- There is something magical about a big ol’ bowl of the homemade stuff on a cold and dreary day, and especially when we are sick.
- A lot of parents of picky eaters have success with getting their kids to try new foods if they put it in soup.
- I know my husband won’t touch kale with a 10 foot pole, but he will eat a big ol’ bowl of Zuppa Toscana filled with kale without a second thought. (But let’s not tell him….)
Our special guest blogger of the month is An Affair From The Heart sharing one of her family’s favorites: Vegetable Beef, Barley and Mushroom Soup, so be sure to check that out! There is something for everyone here to ‘FALL’ for in this collection of soup and chili recipes. Several recipes have been passed down from our families, and I am so happy to share them with you. From our family to yours: Happy Fall!
Smoked Sausage & Black-Eyed Pea Soup – This is my favorite soup in the entire world. I am not even a huge black eyed pea fan and I couldn’t get enough of this one! If you like smoked sausage, you gotta try this soup!
Vegetable Beef, Barley & Mushroom Soup – from guest blogger, An Affair From The Heart. The second I saw this photo, I knew we had to try this one and it is spectacular.
Nacho Supreme Soup – This soup is ready, start to finish, in under 20 minutes. It is a GREAT weeknight meal. Serve ‘nacho style’ with all the trimmings! (Great for trick or treat night!)
Ground Beef & Vegetable Soup – This is my Mother-in-Law’s recipe and my husband’s favorite. Serve it with a grilled cheese and you have a wonderful Fall meal!
Ground Beef & Zucchini Soup – You won’t miss the potatoes in this soup. It is wonderful!
3 Meat Chili – This is one we have a lot of gameday Saturdays. It is our absolute favorite chili recipe and will definitely warm you up on a cold day!
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili – This one is made entirely in the slow cooker and happens to be one of my favorite crock pot recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas Soup – Another one made entirely in the slow cooker and with less than a 10 minute prep time – a real winner!
Taco Soup – Another fantastic recipe passed down from my mother in law. It is ready so fast and it is DELICIOUS! (A great way to use up leftover chili too!)
Chicken Tortilla Soup – Another family recipe! This was passed down to me by my mom and it is fantastic. We serve it with cheese quesadillas for dipping 🙂
Zuppa Toscana – This is an Italian Version of loaded potato soup. Don’t be afraid of the kale, it is SO GOOD!
I want to hear from you! What are your favorite Fall Soups? What did we leave out? For more of my great recipes for busy Rocket City families, check out Aunt Bee’s RCM Archives.
You Might Also Like…
- Instant Pot Recipes Your Family Will Love
- Meals to Bring Babies… and Exhausted New Parents
- RCM Parent Restaurant Reviews