If you’re staying in town for Fall Break and you’ve forgone the myriad camps, you *might* at some point during the week be looking for some fun outside of your homestead. Likewise, you’re probably wanting to find activities that won’t bust the bank. Just in case, we’ve put together several great options that are all $7 or less!
Outdoor Fall Break Fun
Hays Nature Preserve
Operation Green Team will be hosting Art in the Preserve at Hays Nature Preserve. From 10AM-1PM, parents and grandparents can bring their little ones by to enjoy some outdoor time and then create some art. It’s totally FREE and since they’ll be using paint, markers, crayons and glue we recommend wearing “play clothes” that can get messy.
You can also head to Hays on Friday the 11th for their free Literary Trails program!
Looking for some retail therapy? Make mom/dad and the kiddos happy with a trip to Bridgestreet Town Center. Ride the train ($3) & Carousel – ($2) and when you finish head over to the kids section of Barnes and Noble which boasts a train table AND a LEGO table.
Parks & Recreation
Area parks are a great option for fun because they wear your little ones out, they are easy play dates when other children are present (and they will be during fall break), and they are completely FREE! Before you head out the door be sure to check out our Parks Guide or better yet download our FREE Explore Huntsville smartphone app (available via the iTunes or Google Play stores). The app will tell you which parks are near you, what amenities they have, and if your GPS is turned on you can get a map with turn by turn directions!
Hunt for Ducks Downtown
Take the kids to explore downtown Huntsville in the gorgeous Fall weather! First, stop by the Huntsville Visitor Center and pick up a Lucy Duck Scavenger Hunt card. Track down all the cute little brass ducks hidden downtown and you could win a prize! You’ll walk A LOT, so be sure to have plenty of time. You can also download the scavenger hunt card here, but be sure to stop into the CVB when you’re done.
Take a Staycation
Fall Break is a great time to explore your hometown, and several local attractions are hosting fun activities for kids and families throughout the week. If you are already a member of these attractions, there is little to no extra cost to participate!
Burritt On the Mountain
– Fall Break Activities: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 10:30 AM, free for members
Cook Museum of Natural Science
– Cephalopod Day: Saturday the 12th from 10Am – 2PM, free to all
Earlyworks Family of Museums
– Concert at Constitutional Hall Park: Thursday at 5:30, free to all
Huntsville Museum of Art
– $5 After Five: Thursday from 5-8 PM
U.S. Space & Rocket Center
– Spark!Lab: All week during museum hours, free for members
Indoor Fall Break Fun
Behold the Bookshelves!
Whether you visit virtually or in person (our favorite) the Huntsville Madison County Public Library is guaranteed to have something that will keep your kids of all ages occupied and entertained. In addition to their normal events, many branches are holding special fall break events like afternoon movies and crafts. Check their calendar to see what’s happening and get in on all the FREE fun.
Run ’em (or Jump ’em) Ragged
It’s called Restless Kids Syndrome and all mothers recognize the signs. First children get whiny, then items in your home begin to break for inexplicable reasons, slapping and hitting of siblings may occur. Avoid this serious dilemma with great indoor play options many of whom are offering open play and discounts this week.
- Matrix Gym – Whiz Kids open gym is another favorite in our RCM arsenal and worth visiting when looking for options for your littlest ones. Read our review here. Whiz Kids is offered six days a week. Check our RCM calendar or their website for exact times. Exclusively for children ages 6 and under it’s only $5 if you’re a member.
- Our Indoor Play Guide to Huntsville is great to bookmark in case of rain or a heat wave during Fall Break.
- What’s Free for Kids This Month?
- Indoor Play Spots in Huntsville
- Fall Activity Guide to North Alabama & Huntsville