Discovery on the Mountain brings guided hikes to local families
There’s no denying this summer is different. Families everywhere have canceled vacations, travel plans, and summer camps as precaution against our current health crisis. Finding fun things to do in the fresh air outside is high on most everyone’s priority list. Enter: Burritt On the Mountain’s new weekly guided hike series for kids, Discovery On the Mountain.
Starting June 16, young explorers in 1st – 6th grade can head up to the top of Monte Sano on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00-11:00 AM to enjoy different activities. These outdoor sessions will take place throughout the summer and are guided by CPR-certified Burritt education staff. Each activity is designed for fun and exploration while allowing for social distancing.
But what about Covid-19 safety?
Discovery on the Mountain programs are limited to 15 children, and each program is aimed at a specific age group (lower or upper elementary-aged students) to provide the best atmosphere for learning and fun. All participants are required to bring a mask or bandana as well as their own water bottle. Kids should wear closed toe, lace-up shoes such as tennis shoes or hiking boots and either long pants or socks that can be pulled up over the ankles. Bug spray and sunscreen should be applied by a parent before check-in. Parents are encouraged to drop participants off at check in and pick them up afterward.
You MUST make a reservation for these activities – no drop-offs allowed without a reservation. Attendance is strictly limited to 15 people. Registration will be closed midnight Sunday night for Tuesday activities and Tuesday at midnight for Thursday activities.
Discovery On the Mountain Dates
- June 16th – What is on our Trail? – Upper Elementary
- June 18th – Meet Barnyard Animals – Lower Elementary
- June 23rd – Up Close with Trees – Lower Elementary
- June 25th – What a Bug Sees! – Upper Elementary
- July 7th – Meet Barnyard Animals – Upper Elementary
- July 9th – What is on Our Trail? – Lower Elementary
- July 14th – Up Close with Trees – Upper Elementary
- July 16th – What a Bug Sees! – Lower Elementary
- July 21st – Up Close with Trees – Lower Elementary
- July 23rd – What a Bug Sees! – Upper Elementary
- July 28th – Meet Barnyard Animals – Upper Elementary
- July 30th – What is on Our Trail? – Upper Elementary
- August 4th – What is on Our Trail? – Lower Elementary
- August 6th – Meet Barnyard Animals – Lower Elementary
- August 11th – Up Close with Trees – Upper Elementary
- August 13th – What a Bug Sees! – Lower Elementary
Burritt reserves the right to cancel activities due to weather, low attendance or unforeseen circumstances such as changes in health and safety regulations. Refunds will be given if we cancel the activity or you cannot attend the rescheduled time. Rain dates will be offered as needed throughout the summer.
Sign me up!
Cost is $15 per participant, and registration is required. We can’t wait to see you for some summer fun at Burritt!
Rocket City Mom is a website about raising children in and around Huntsville, Alabama. Started in late 2010 by a local mom and newcomer to Huntsville, Rocket City Mom has grown into a thriving community of local parents and now boasts a staff of four, thirteen regular contributors, and tens of thousands of Tennessee Valley readers making it the #1 Parenting Resource in North Alabama.