Date night! That elusive, rare, and very important routine to keeping your sanity and relationship intact. Whether you have a date night once a week (bless you), once a month, or once a year, when you have the chance to spend time with each other kid-free, make it count. Huntsville is ever-growing and date nights are getting more fun & varied in the Rocket City. Check out some of our NEW 2019 favorites for a kid-free date night, as well as a few classic ideas.
“I Don’t Know… What DO You Want to Do?”
To keep things fun and spontaneous, make a popsicle stick pull to keep things fresh and interesting. Write down one restaurant or activity on a popsicle stick, put in a jar and draw one out each date night for a impromptu itinerary if you are having trouble deciding what to do.
Date Night in Huntsville – New & Classic Ideas
Near the square downtown in the new Avenue Building
201 Jefferson Street, Huntsville, AL | View Website
Tip: Check out the cocktail menu presented inside of a book!
- Upscale date night or girls night restaurant and bar
- Unique and seasonal menu
- Reservations suggested
THE MARTIN Bar & Bistro
116 Washington St SE, Huntsville, AL
I Recommend: The Southerner – fried green tomato, pulled pork, pimento cheese served on a biscuit with tots.
- Upstairs, open air (glass garage door wall) bar and restaurant
- Flat breads, appetizers, sandwiches, soups, pastas
- Great place to go after axe throwing across the street at Rock Axe City
- Open until 2am on Fridays and Saturdays
Cocktails at The View
Burritt On the Mountain | View Website
You won’t find a more romantic view in all of Huntsville!
- Wednesday evening cocktails April – October in 2019
- Gourmet dinners featuring dining & wine pairings under the stars by 2 Chefs
103 North Side Square Huntsville, AL | View Website
Tip: You can buy bottles of wine and accessories in the small gift shop.
- Intimate wine dive
- Located on the square. Small patio and inside seating
- Soups, salads,charcuterie & cheese platters , sandwiches and entrees
- Reservations are preferred, as word is spreading about how great this romantic wine dive is
Good Company Cafe
Main Street South, South Huntsville | View Website
Serves tapas, sandwiches, wine, beer, lattes and house made pastries, cakes and dessert
- Located at the beginning of South Parkway in the shopping center before Rosie’s
- This breakfast and lunch spot is open Thursday and Friday nights
- Live music Thursday and Friday Nights 5-9pm
- Owned and operated by two women chefs
Blue Bayou @ The Lumberyard
108 Cleveland Ave. Huntsville | View Website
Fun Fact: The screens on board take you along train rides throughout with world while you listen to smooth jazz.
- Sit in 1 of 5 booths in a beautifully restored blue railcar parked inside the grounds of AM Booths Lumberyard downtown Huntsville
- Currently the menu is the same as the main restaurant but will have seasonal specials
Straight To Ale SpeakEasy: Ale’s Kitchen
Campus 805, Huntsville | View Website
Tip: Grab some dinner here after going Axe Throwing with Civil Axe, located on the second floor of Campus 805 or play a pinball arcade, just steps from the speakeasy.
- Located inside a repurposed middle school, Campus 805
- Access this unique to find speakeasy after you slid a set of orange lockers to the right
- Sante Fe Quinoa Salad, Southern Poutine, and the B.A.M.F Pretzel are favorite menu items
- You can play a pinball machine arcade steps away, before or after your dinner
Pints & Pixels
115 Clinton Ave, 3rd Floor, Huntsville | View Website
Serves a variety of foods and chili and chili topped foods like fries, burgers and wings from Anaheim Chili.
- Over 50 vintage video arcade games & pinball machines inside a restaurant and bar
- Located on the 3rd floor above the old Whites Mercantile on Clinton Avenue
- Great local craft beer selection
- Not your typical romantic restaurant, this geek chic place can get a bit loud at peak times
Unique Date Night Experiences in 2019
Stand Up Live
2012 Memorial Parkway, Huntsville | View Website
Surprisingly great food: salads, sandwiches, appetizers, beer, wine and cocktails
- Located off Governors drive and Memorial Parkway
- Live comedy club with guest comedians each week
- Each ticket is required to purchase at least two items off the menu
- Subscribe to their newsletter to get specials & discounts
1000 Hobbs Island Road, Huntsville | View Website
Sunset paddle nights with provided lights
- Stand Up and Paddle on a large floating board
- Life vest, paddle and board provided with 2 hour trip $35
- Instruction included with each rental
- Every Saturday and Sunday in the warmer months. On call other times.
Bike Downtown Huntsville
PACE bicycles have several stations scattered throughout downtown | View Website
Bike around Big Spring Park from the downtown YMCA station. Feed some ducks, stop and grab some pizza and drinks at Pane Vino, located across from the fountain at the base of the Museum of Art.
- Starts at $1 per ride with free app download
- Instructions on how to rent are at each station
- Cruiser bikes include a bell, basket, & reflectors. Helmets recommended
Bullet & Barrel
3252 Leeman Ferry Road 35801 | View Website
Tip: Closes at 6pm on Saturdays so plan to spend an hour here and grab some dinner nearby at locally owned Beaureguards for some wings, burgers and beer after the range.
- New, clean and friendly shooting environment. Great for beginners and experienced alike.
- Memberships available
- Follow Facebook page for special events such as frequent BOGO date nights and events
- Closed toed shoes required
- Once at the range, you will be walked through picking out a gun, ammo and watch a short safety video
- No experience necessary, safety officers inside the range are friendly and happy to assist you
Axe Throwing: Rock Axe City & Civil Axe
Huntsville has two axe throwing places, one located just off the square downtown and one located inside the multiuse Campus 805 off Governors Drive near downtown.
- Closed toed shoes required at both locations
- No Previous Axe throwing experience required. Axe Coaches will walk you through a safe throw.
- If you choose Civil Axe to get your Axe on, head downstairs after to the hidden speakeasy (located behind a set of lockers) for some dinner and drinks from Straight to Ales kitchen.
- If you choose the off the square location of Rock Axe City, head across the street to The Martin for drinks and entrees and an Honest coffee nearby to end the night.
Rocket City Rover
Downtown Huntsville | View Website
14 Person Party Bike: 12 bike seats with pedals and two can sit at a bench seat on the back, pedal-free
- Themed rides: progressive dinner, microbrewery tours every Thursday thru Saturday at 6pm
- Individual seats can be reserved or rent the entire bike for parties or events
Lowe Mill Arts & Entertainment
2211 Seminole Drive, Huntsville | View Website
A Huntsville treasure, Lowe Mill is unique, eclectic, and a great place to go for date night in Huntsville.
- Free Concerts on the Dock every Friday in the Spring and Fall
- Every Thursday 6:30-10pm Thursday Night Swing $10
- Palette to Palate: Paint and carry 16X20 inch canvas while enjoying Chef Will of Chef Will the Palate delicious creations.
- Couples Nights at Pottery Studio, Design By Hart Pottery Studio 272
You Might Also Like…
- RCM’s Local Restaurant Reviews
- Parent Nights Out: Where to Find Them in Huntsville
- Where Kids Eat Free Every Day in the Rocket City