By the time Spring Break 2021 rolls around we will be hitting the one year mark of COVID isolation. Obviously we haven’t all lived in complete isolation since then, but I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say I AM OVER IT. That pandemic wall is real y’all.
So, as I am wont to do, I am once again looking for a fun but socially distanced vacation option for our family. We need out of this house but we want to be safe. Not just for ourselves but for those in our circles who are still at-risk. I love the beach as much as anyone and we’ve spent many spring breaks down at the Gulf Coast in the past but I’m less excited about it when we are avoiding the heated pools and lazy rivers.
Enter A Mountain Vacation
That’s why we’re looking toward a cozy cabin mountain vacation. One of the greatest perks of living in North AL is how close both options are (beach and mountains). Also, the beach is great but it doesn’t have views like this!
A quick search on AirBnB delivered literally hundreds of options but I’m picky and I needed the spaces to meet certain criteria:
- Available for all or part of Spring Break. As of the date of publication all of these cabins had openings for at least part of and in many cases all of Huntsville City Schools/Madison County spring break. Several on this list also had availability for Madison City Schools break.
- No more than 4 hours away. We have no interest in super long car rides right now.
- Family friendly. There is only one cabin on the list that isn’t recommended for kids under 2 (I’m guessing b/c of the stairs) but all the cabins boasted lots of family adventures near their property.
- Great Reviews. All of the cabins that made it on the list either had stunning reviews from previous renters or the host was identified as a SuperHost who had great reviews on other locations and the listing here was just too new for its own reviews.
- It’s all ours! No condos, lodges, or hotels. We wanted a place all to ourselves both for socially distant reasons and because we just wanted to enjoy some peace and quiet during our break.
Everything we found was adorable and in picking those to share I tried to identify a variety of sizes, prices, and luxuries. Some of the cabins listed are quaint and cozy and offer up simple pleasures like a bench by the river or a fire pit for s’mores. Others are a bit more high-end with pool tables and hot tubs and other vacation type-treats. What they all have in common are glorious views, a promise of quiet time spent with loved ones, and opportunities to unwind and relax in nature.
Don’t Take Our Word For It
Do yourself a favor and book this cabin immediately. It is an amazing mountain getaway and perfect for anyone looking to leave the noise of the city behind. There are at least 4 waterfalls within 40 minutes from the cabin, so challenge yourself by trying to find all of them. Don’t forget to visit the Toccoa River swinging bridge either! – Raul, November 2020See Also
The cabin is absolutely beautiful. Jessica has it fully equipped with family fun entertainment to keep everyone having a great time. Leave those electronics at home! We enjoyed movie night each night. And there’s no better place to enjoy your morning coffee than out on the deck listening to the river. – Charlotte, January 2021
So what are you waiting for? I speak from experience when I say, don’t wait too long or you are likely to lose one you’ve got your eye on 🙂 Also, if you know of one we’ve missed that you’ve absolutely loved, drop the link in our comments and we’ll try and add it to our ever growing list of places we can’t wait to visit. #ReadytoMoveOn
Jennifer is the creator and co-editor of Rocket City Mom. She is also a compulsive writer, avid reader, occasional singer and former communications wizard turned toddler wrangler. You can often spot her and her little ones cruising the kiddie hot-spots in their "Rocket Van".