We all know about the sales tax holiday when school starts, but did you know the state of Alabama does something similar at the start of severe weather season in the Spring? The severe weather tax holiday starts Friday, February 22, 2019 at 12:01 a.m. and ends Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 12 midnight. This gives shoppers the opportunity to purchase certain severe weather preparedness items free of state sales tax. (Local sales tax may apply.)
In other words, it’s time to stock up and get your family ready for the typical springtime weather in Huntsville.
What Should You Buy?
Exempt items that are covered in this state tax holiday are $60 or less per item:
- Batteries (everything except coin, boat, or auto batteries)
- Cellular phone batteries & chargers
- Radios: Portable self-powered or battery-powered radio, two way radio, weather band radio or NOAA weather radio
- Lights: Portable self-powered light source, including battery powered flashlights, lanterns, or emergency glow sticks
- Plastic sheeting & drop cloths
- Other flexible, waterproof sheeting
- Ground anchor system, such as bungee cords or rope, or tiedown kit
- Duct tape
- Plywood, window film or other materials specifically designed to protect window coverings
- Non-electric food storage cooler or water storage container
- Non-electric can opener
- Artificial or reusable ice
- Blue ice & Ice packs
- Self-contained first aid kit
- Fire extinguisher
- Smoke detector
- Carbon monoxide detector
- Gas or Diesel fuel tank or container
UNDER $1,000 or less: Any portable generator and power cords – used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage.
Severe Weather Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday Details
Got questions? More info is at 334-242-1490 or 866-576-6531
You can also print out this handy PDF to take with you to the store!
You Might Also Like…
- Severe Weather Safety Tips for Families from an Expert
- Domestic Violence – What To Do When It’s a Friend
- Helping Kids & Parents Navigate the Internet Safely